My problems with start up solved

Ken
My problems with start up solved

Post by Ken » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:39 am

Was having a heck of a time trying to get this helicopter to fire up using the Start Switch.
Walked through the procedure about five times before the light came on. I'm talking about the one between my two ears.
My main issue with not being able to start this helicopter was with the Throttle Idle release. I found if I click on it to make sure it was in the cut off position before cycling to idle I would get a startup.

Here's my startup procedures. Funny it's the same as what is printed in the Milviz 407 manual
Startup Procedure, sorta. Thanks Milviz:)

In VC view.
1. Lift Fuel Valve cover and click switch to on (up) position then close cover to lock it on.
2. Click Throttle Idle Release button to cycle to cutoff position.
In Overhead panel view. (if you want to look directly at the panel. Otherwise just stay in the VC view)
3. Battery Switch on
4. Hydraulic switch on
5. Anti-collision light on
6. Left and Right Boost Transfer switches on
In VC view
7. Cycle Throttle to Idle position
8. Click and hold Start switch on for about 2 seconds. You will hear things start to fire up.
In Overhead panel view.
9. Click Avonics switch on
10.Click Generator on
11.Click three flight Instrument switches on
12.Pitot heat on;

kdfw
Re: My problems with start up solved

Post by kdfw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:07 am

i'm doing the same but still some problems starting from cold.

In VC view

7. Cycle Throttle to Idle position

>>in my case, if i wait 5-10sec after throttle is set to 'idle,' the throttle grip then automatically turns to 'fly' for some unknown reason.

8. Click and hold Start switch on for about 2 seconds. You will hear things start to fire up.

>>with throttle at 'fly,' engine fires up and engine/rotor is spinning at the 'fly' setting. i think it should turn on at the 'idle' setting and idle.

now, after step 7 i set the throttle back to 'idle' from 'fly,' engine starts but as the rpm increase and mgt settles after the spike, engine sound goes low and i get the fadec beeps. pressing the fadec button or increasing the throttle back up the 'fly' also kills the beeping.

so, in my case, it seem i need the throttle setting at 'fly' for the engine to fire without the beeping. it's as if it needs more gas to start up...

aquafx

Post by aquafx » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:55 am

Hello everyone.

"so, in my case, it seems i need the throttle setting at 'fly' for the engine to fire without the beeping. it's as if it needs more gas to start up..."

I too have found this to be the reason I was having issues with startup.
The idle setting when lined up with the marker isn't quite enough.

Cheers
Steve

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi all,

for those who have still Problems with the Startup or with the "Ready to Fly"-option, try ti set the Mixture to "full rich" using the Keys CTRL-SHFT-F4 or if one has the mixture assigned to a controller axis, set this at max.

In my Case it helped for the Ready to Fly Option, I seldom but sometimes use this Option for Testflights.
The engine never starts except for one saved flight and this flight was the only one at which the Mixture Lever was set to full rich (Engine Settings are saved in the Flight-File).
So I tested a little bit and it turned out, that the mixture setting at full rich was it :) .
After the engine is running, the setting of the mixture lever doesn't care anymore.

For those who like to change the setting for a saved flight, just go to the section:
"<Section Name="Engine Parameters.1.0">"
and change the value:
<Property Name="MixtureLeverPct" Value="0" />
to
<Property Name="MixtureLeverPct" Value="1" />

The Value "1" is the maximum Value and normalynot reached by controllers.a saved value from a controller axis looks like something about this:
<Property Name="MixtureLeverPct" Value="0.999755859375" />

And don't forget the wind ;) .
In my experience I've to set the wind completely off, otherwise I can't start the engine even not with direct downwind (using Prepar3D 2.2/ even HTR doesn't change anything).

And also remember that both fuel pumps are to be switched on to get the engine running (which is not a real behavior, the real engine can be started with only one pump and the (real) aircraft can be flown with both electrical pumps off, but than with some limitations like maximum hight of 4000ft density altitude).

Throttle has to be at Idle but not in fulls stop position (that's the point, my english is leaving my, sorry, I don't know the right term to describe this ... Throttle has to be moved above the "click" of the lock button ...)

Best greetings
Marcus

cuevision

Post by cuevision » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:36 pm

I find it all a kinda of strange.

I read to replace the helicopter to an other heading or remove the wind ??? As if a real pilot can turn of the wind and first has to turn his Helicopter (by hand?) to another heading. I have flown a lot of helicopters from Dodosim to the Nemeth models. Never have I experienced this kind off setup. Where ever I parked my heli, it has to start in every condition.

regards,
Ed

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:50 pm

It is a bug in FSX. We are working on workarounds but they are still in R&D mode.

cuevision

Post by cuevision » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:15 pm

Hello JB

Now I understand. As I said strange ;-)

You mention FSX. I assume you also mean P3D? Looking forward to that fix.

Thanks and regards,
Ed

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:26 pm

Correct.

robains

Post by robains » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:35 pm

I seem unable to lift off the ground, but it's a 50/50 crap shoot. Sometimes it will, sometimes it will not. Followed the short manual procedures to no avail.

No problems starting or flying the default R22.

Agree, the no wind requirement is really really strange ... if this is still a "bug" in P3D, please let LM know with replicatable scenario ... a few years with a perfect opportunity to get this fixed. In the meantime, any possibility to have an option for a "Simple" start procedure like the R22 that works?

Not being able to start or fly this aircraft certainly isn't encouraging and I can't imagine good for sales? It's a pretty significant show stopper, no?

Cheers, Rob.

bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Old thread, but i revisited this issue again today on the 407 after well over a year in not flying any copters.

I found that engine will not start to spool up , after pressing start switch, until throttle is moved to around 80-85%. Until then, nothing happens. At 85%, it starts spooling up. Then I find if nothing else is touched, after about 40 seconds, without ever seeing any RPM increase, the engine slows down and stops. To stop this from happening, as soon as the engine starts for about 5 seconds, I move the throttle to flight. It then spools up normally, and rpm indicators read as they should. Before flying, I increase the throttle some more. Works every time.

Tozzifan

Post by Tozzifan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:45 am

bobsk8 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:16 pm
Old thread, but i revisited this issue again today on the 407 after well over a year in not flying any copters.

I found that engine will not start to spool up , after pressing start switch, until throttle is moved to around 80-85%. Until then, nothing happens. At 85%, it starts spooling up. Then I find if nothing else is touched, after about 40 seconds, without ever seeing any RPM increase, the engine slows down and stops. To stop this from happening, as soon as the engine starts for about 5 seconds, I move the throttle to flight. It then spools up normally, and rpm indicators read as they should. Before flying, I increase the throttle some more. Works every time.
it did not work for me so far, maybe I'm missing something

the only way I get the 407 working, after the engine going silent, is to go in slew mode, move the chopper a bit, then suddenly the engine works ... not that immersive ;)

Return to “MV 407 Support Forum”