Cannot use instruments - everything incrementing by 10

jspa6m5
Cannot use instruments - everything incrementing by 10

Post by jspa6m5 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:55 am

Hi,

I have seen numerous posts about this issue when doing a search but they are all listed as resolved so I did not wish to add to an already resolved thread. Anyway, I am having this same issue - I cannot select any values on the HSI Heading Indicator, HSI Course Selector or Altitude selector unless they are a multiple of 10 (though the altitude only works with multiples of 1000).

So with HSI (both course and heading knobs) I can only select 0, 10, 20, 30 etc and with altitude only 0000, 1000, 2000, 3000 etc.

I have gone through the previous threads but none of the suggestions including reducing / eliminating the trim repeater have worked. I tried also mucking with my mouse settings, turning off all possible sources of "acceleration" and changing the scrolling to only 1 line at a time (it defaulted to 3) but nothing has helped.

Not sure if this is related (though it probably is), if I have the aircraft configured as already started up (via the Milviz control applet), then when the aircraft has loaded, I am hearing the sound used for either the altitude selector or the idle cutoff levers (it is the same sound I believe) being constantly repeated - around once every half second or so. The engines are not actually running either and I would have thought they should be if that is what I selected in the Milviz applet.

But I think they might all possibly be related somehow. Obviously this is a bit of a show stopper as I cannot fly this thing without being able to select the desired settings on the instruments!

I am running a pretty much stock install apart from four other payware aircraft, two of which are other Milviz aircraft. Other than that, only ORBX scenery. No funny tweaks or any other third party stuff.

Thanks

Slayer
Re: Cannot use instruments - everything incrementing by 10

Post by Slayer » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:21 pm

Are you using FSX or P3D? If it is FSX there is a fix you can use if you have FSUIPC. "control acceleration fix"

jspa6m5

Post by jspa6m5 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:32 am

Thanks but that does not make a difference (I am using FSX). It does not actually seem to be "acceleration" related anyway since even if I just click on these instruments rather than use the mouse wheel it still happens.

I did, however, find a bizarre workaround last night though: After initially loading up the aircraft, place the mouse cursor over the Autobrake switch and then move the mouse wheel one notch towards the user. Doing that consistently brings back single degree increments to the HSI and 100 foot increments to the autopilot.

Moving the Autobrake knob anywhere from the "Off" position just brings back the problem but that can be avoided by simply not setting the desired Autobrake setting until already established on the LOC/GS (or just not using it at all of course).

EDIT: Forgot to add, this issue also effects the frequency selector " for NBD frequencies. Sorry, I am slowly learning this aircraft but I think as of today I know the systems enough so the issue appears only to be limited to the two HSI knobs, altitude and NBD frequency selectors. From all my testing, I cannot see anything else it affects. The fix I have described above though is a 100% workaround in my experience to this point, meaning it works 100% of the time. Hopefully if anyone else suffers the problem and none of the other solutions work, this solution will work. Obviously not a perfect solution but I am happy unless my findings give you guys a "lightbulb" moment!

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:44 pm

It is a bug of FSX , this issue has come up several times in the past. The fix that has always worked was using FSUIPC (that's why Pete put that function in there)
It doesn't happen on every aircraft but ours is affected by it on some peoples systems. In P3D it doesn't appear to be an issue.

jspa6m5

Post by jspa6m5 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:09 am

I don't really want to lose the control acceleration capability in any case since it is (for me at least) pretty much essential in the absence of a full blown home cockpit equipped with actual physical control panels to mimic the real aircraft functionality (as opposed to using a mouse to use most of the gauges).

So for me the best compromise solution is to edit the panel.cfg file and comment out gauge 08 of the first virtual cockpit entry (ABS). That way everything in the aircraft increments in 1 and works in the same manner as all my other aircraft (including my other Milviz aircraft). But I have also just added my own comments underneath the gauge entry explaining to myself why I did it so that I can remember what I have done (and why) if I ever needed to refer back to it in the future for some reason.

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:04 pm

I don't think you loose the control acceleration, it just prevents it from running away and incrementing by 10 etc

Return to “Boeing 737-200 Support Forum”