Rudder, brake and trim issues...

Krazycolin
Site Admin
Rudder, brake and trim issues...

Post by Krazycolin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:02 am

Ok... so we're changing things up a bit... first off, here is the fix for the B-55 (actually an E-55). What we will be doing is, when the SP is done, releasing another plane in the same package. The C-55... (not so powerful engines)... So, essentially, even though it looks the same, it will deffo fly differently. The FDE will be completely rewritten for that as well..

We will not be charging for this. As well, the price will not change till the SP is out for at least two weeks... I will also guarantee those of you who are over the 30 days, should we be late on the SP, a refund for up to 5 days after SP release should you not be happy.

I hope this meets with everyone's approval???

http://www.milviz.com/filesfordownload/ ... 120531.zip

mohawk3
Re: Rudder, brake and trim issues...

Post by mohawk3 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:49 am

That's great news, I love the Baron.What about a T-42A? It's a looker and military a/c sells better.

ardix

Post by ardix » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:08 am

Great improvement. Now I can try sideslips without problems. Thanks! :)

Bill C

Post by Bill C » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:43 am

Big inprovement. I just need to get used to the way she flys. Alot different from the default FSX Baron.

teeboy

Post by teeboy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:11 am

Spent a few very enjoyable hours on touch 'n go's last night. New FDE is very nice - she handles really well. Much more enjoyable than the other Baron's out there..

And the sounds are ace - those engines howl beautifully on takeoff. Need to keep an eye on the temps tho' ;)

Nick

GeeBee

Post by GeeBee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:37 am

Actually, the B55 is the lowest powered of the Baron 55 Series with its Continental IO-470-N engines rated at 260 hp each. The C55, D55, and E55 model were considered the factory hot rods becase all were equipped with Continental IO-520 engines rated at 285 hp each, which are the same engines used in the stretched, normally aspirated Baron 58 modeled in the other Baron simulators, including the default.

The main differences between the C, D, and E models is the year manufactured. All three models have a stretched nose, almost a foot longer than the B55, and wider span horrizontal stabilizer and elevators. And they are f-a-s-t! The visual dead giveaway for the C, D, and E55 models is the induction air intake scoop on top of each cowl, just like on the Baron 58. Cowls on the B55 are correctly smooth topped as modeled on the Milviz B55 sim I run.

I'm really enjoying my Milviz B55 sim and hope the SP I just downloaded corrects a few minor issues with it. Oh, and I fly a real B55 and have a number of hours in real 58s too.

GeeBee

GeeBee

Post by GeeBee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:51 am

Oops--I goofed! The B55 has IO-470-L engines rated at 260 hp at 2625 rpm. By the way, the physical airframe modeled is definitely a B55 and not a C, D, or E55. And its modeling as a B55 is fabulous! Very nice job, very nice! But the tach redline at 2700 RPM does suggest IO-520s...and an error. Continental IO-520s are not installed in a B55 unless it's a Colemill conversion, and even then it'll have the induction air scoop on top of the cowls.

Additionally, the throttles erroneously control the sound of the engines' revs at takeoff and cruise power settings. The throttles control the amount of air and fuel only, and thereby the engine's power. The props are constant speed and will remain at the RPM selected by the position of the prop levers, which control the respective prop governors on each engine. At takeoff, pulling the throttle back to 25" manifold pressure reduces the sound of the RPMs, which is incorrect—pulling the prop levers back for 2500 RPM have zero effect on the sound but do behave visually correct on the tach.

I installed the SP downloaded a short while ago, and all seems to work. Much thanks for the tip to simply overwrite the two exiting files with the updated files.

GeeBee

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:13 pm

GeeBee wrote:Additionally, the throttles erroneously control the sound of the engines' revs at takeoff and cruise power settings.
You have just (re)discovered a flaw in the Flight Simulator program's sound system that has been present since FS98 at least. ;)

GeeBee

Post by GeeBee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 pm

You have just (re)discovered a flaw in the Flight Simulator program's sound system that has been present since FS98 at least.
Hi Bill,
I just discovered it! Before getting the Milviz B55 add-on for FSX, I ran an add-on B58 sim from another developer and the props do audibly reduce revs when I pull them back to 2500 RPM for climbout after departure. I normally don't retard the throttles after departure in my real B55 or the real 58 I fly because full throttles enriches the fuel mixtures and helps keep the valves from burning themselves and my wallet. So I tend to follow that practice with the simulator. I have several other GA twin sims as well as some heavy prop transports that also will audibly reduce the revs in response to pulling back the prop levers. However, in focused testing of a couple of other twins in my simulator hangar earlier today, I discovered several that exhibit the Flight Simulator sound generator flaw you pointed out.

Oh, another niggle in an otherwise great software package, especially when considering the Milviz B55 is fresh out of development with very few glitches, is the behavior of the manifold pressure instrument. It doesn't respond to throttle advance until the levers move through the bottom third of their overall travel. Then during throttle advance from idle, the manifold pressure indication is way too low for the accompanying RPMs, and I found this one to be unique to the B55 sim. Full RPMs should occur around 21-23 inches of manifold pressure rather than the 15 inches where it occurs on B55 sim. FYI-I use the Saitec flight yoke with extra throttle quadrants for my multiengine simulator flying.

Again, great job :D and thanks for doing a fabulous simulator for my bird...the B55.
GeeBee

stephenjdecatur

Post by stephenjdecatur » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:09 am

Gee Bee,
I was just reading this thread, having come to this forum to hopefuly find some advice on a matter that you may know something about. Up until now I have been "flying" my B55 with a stick and throttle setup. (My first real world flight was in my Uncle's Luscombe followed by some time in J3's and I just never got over it.) Anyway, today I just received a big box with my new Saitek yoke, trim wheel and extra throttle quadrants, as you use. Normally I'm pretty good with this stuff, but after several attempts at calibrating the levers I can only get 29 to 70 percent on the throttles. I never had problems calbrating/programing before. Can you tell me what I'm missing here? I can't wait to try this out. Thank you in advance for any light that you may be able to shed on this.
Stephen Decatur

Paul J

Post by Paul J » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:54 pm

I reckon you might check within the FSX's "Settings --> Controls --> Calibration --> Advanced" page, Stephen. Select the controller and adjust the Throttle/Prop/Mixture sliders to full right, and the Null Zones to full left.

GeeBee

Post by GeeBee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:22 pm

Stephen,
Hmmmm, I didn't have calibration problems when I set up my Saitec throttle quadrants. I'll record the settings I use in FSX on a random access tablet...paper...and will get back to you on this formun. Stan'by.

I'm not exactly a guru on the PC end of flight sim but let's see what happens. Saitec guys, do you have any suggestions?
GeeBee

lateagain

Post by lateagain » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Any News on the SP?

Not being impatient here just interested to know what's in the works :)

Geoff

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:48 pm

When it's ready. Tks

Return to “B-55 Support Forum”