HYDRAULIC PUMP HANDLE LOCATON

ijdjr2
HYDRAULIC PUMP HANDLE LOCATON

Post by ijdjr2 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:08 pm

I noticed that when the plane is on the ground and engine is off that no wing fold operation will happen and that the wing
fold will work with the engine running. Isn't there a hydraulic control lever that can supply hydraulic power to operate the
wings with the engine off? No mention of this in the manual other then show where the wing fold lever is located.

Slayer
Re: HYDRAULIC PUMP HANDLE LOCATON

Post by Slayer » Wed May 05, 2021 4:07 pm

I do not believe that there is a hand pump.

ijdjr2

Post by ijdjr2 » Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 pm

Slayer wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:07 pm
I do not believe that there is a hand pump.
Okay, then with the engine off, is it possible to lower the wings? Only way I have been able to is with engine running.

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Wed May 05, 2021 9:38 pm

I can't answer that question. Waiting for feedback from developer. It appears either the manual is wrong or something is inop.

ChristianBramkamp

Post by ChristianBramkamp » Thu May 06, 2021 5:38 pm

I believe the hand pump wouldn’t have sufficent power to move the wings and is used for the gear only.

ijdjr2

Post by ijdjr2 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:26 pm

ChristianBramkamp wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:38 pm
I believe the hand pump wouldn’t have sufficent power to move the wings and is used for the gear only.
Okay then is there a realistic way of unfolding the wing the the engine NOT running? Other then adding fold/unfold wing keys in P3D
which works but hey I thought we were going for full immerison here. As things are, and with the engine running, I can pull the wing fold
lever on the right console and they will fold/unfold as long as the engine is running.

I've been assigned to various US Navy squadrons and as a former aviation maintainer,
I have seen aircraft on jacks with external power applied to them to raise lower landing gears and other items that are
hydraulic/electric actuated. Point is, I would think that if external power were applied the wings would fold unfold.

I've also noted something in the flight manual:
To spread the wings, reverse the process used to fold
them. This operation spreads the wings and inserts
the hinge pins in proper sequence. After the wings
are fully spread, check that the two warning flags are
retracted into the leading edge of the wing.

I don't see the warning flags as mention ---

ijdjr2

Post by ijdjr2 » Fri May 07, 2021 1:12 pm

Slayer wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:38 pm
I can't answer that question. Waiting for feedback from developer. It appears either the manual is wrong or something is inop.
Any news on this issue?

TY

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Fri May 07, 2021 1:52 pm

There is no hand pump. In some versions of the aircraft there is a switch where the 6 is above the gauge that turns on an emergency electrical hydraulic pump. It is not modeled in our version. There is no way to move the wings without power.

ijdjr2

Post by ijdjr2 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:20 pm

Slayer wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:52 pm
There is no hand pump. In some versions of the aircraft there is a switch where the 6 is above the gauge that turns on an emergency electrical hydraulic pump. It is not modeled in our version. There is no way to move the wings without power.
In other words, you have not modeled a way for the wings to unfold with any external power via apu/external power switch
in the cockpit - So gauge #6 in the manual is just monitoring hydraulic pressure?

Page #41:
EMERGENCY LANDING GEAR OPERATION
The landing gear can be extended if there is
complete failure of the hydraulic system by moving
the emergency hydraulic pump switch on the left
console to the right to switch the system on.

On a different note, where is this sliding switch for emergency release of landing gear?

YoYo

Post by YoYo » Fri May 07, 2021 11:17 pm

ijdjr2 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:20 pm
In other words, you have not modeled a way for the wings to unfold with any external power via apu/external power switch
External power isnt modeled here.

ChristianBramkamp

Post by ChristianBramkamp » Sat May 08, 2021 7:54 am

@ YoYo: what‘s the Function of the „AC Power Selector Switch“ when external Power isn‘t modelled? When a „ Realistic startup and shutdowns“ is promoted as a product feature (Website and Page 5 in the manual), a working GPU is required.

ijdjr2

Post by ijdjr2 » Sat May 08, 2021 5:16 pm

ChristianBramkamp wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:54 am
@ YoYo: what‘s the Function of the „AC Power Selector Switch“ when external Power isn‘t modelled? When a „ Realistic startup and shutdowns“ is promoted as a product feature (Website and Page 5 in the manual), a working GPU is required.
+1 That's what I would of thought too.

ijdjr2

Post by ijdjr2 » Sat May 08, 2021 6:08 pm

With regards to the wing fold situation, I can see the thought was with regards to the pilots perspective;
i.e. Pilot starts aircraft (possible wing folded) and with engine running unfolds wings, and goes flying.
To be further immersed with this aircraft and facilitate the bomb load out options (which in of itself is brilliant),
especially on an aircraft carrier where the ordnance gang will have to unfold the wings and load ordnance and then
fold the wings; an APU cart or some external power accommodations provided would of been a nice touch to facilitate
a bomb load scenario where aircraft is not running and wings were folded and need to be lowered.

Just my 2¢ worth.

YoYo

Post by YoYo » Sat May 08, 2021 7:14 pm

ChristianBramkamp wrote:
Realistic startup and shutdowns - from battery isnt realistic? ;> Always exteranal power its a additional feature. Of corse its nice to have (with the cart also) but for me nothing is wrong in description. I can add it as wishes but cant guarantee it will be or not in the future, ok? :]

ijdjr2

Post by ijdjr2 » Sat May 08, 2021 7:46 pm

YoYo wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:14 pm
ChristianBramkamp wrote:
Realistic startup and shutdowns - from battery isnt realistic? ;> Always exteranal power its a additional feature. Of course its nice to have (with the cart also) but for me notihing is wrong in descrition. I can add is as wishes but cant guarantee it will be or not in the future, ok? :]
Yo Mr Yo Yo what up dude?
As for me, I wasn't inferring a startup from battery power. In real life (and I know what I am talking about as a former naval aviation maintainer)
An external power aka APU (Battery) cart that supplies AC/DC electrical power was required to supply electrical power to start up the aircraft, a simple
fact of life. This cart would supply electrical power to operate servos, or hydraulic systems that required power. I've seen many an aircraft jet or
piston power use APU/GPU carts. I think the F-18 and maybe some other newer aircraft do not need APU/GPU.
So back to your not realistic statement, In the real world back then, it WAS realistic, without it the plane would not function -period.
I've seen many military fighter aircraft in the hanger on jack stands undergoing routing maintenance that required external power for
landing gear checks etc. This was all possible without engine power. I am sure you have seen on youtube the older aircraft being started
with some kind of apu/gpu. What was the purpose of your ext power switch if it doesn't do anything?

http://warjeeps.com/articles/APUnavyJee ... jeeps.html

Here is a real startup with just battery power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F23RciUwDE

Here is a video with external electrical startup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJMA0uwOCwM

Looks like electric plug goes under fuselage at frame :29 in the video.

So starting from external power was and can be done. Which may also solve the lowering of folded wings with
no engine running.
Last edited by ijdjr2 on Sat May 08, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “A-1H Skyraider Support Forum”