PC-6 Cockpit view / no instrument panel

bill.thegreenman
PC-6 Cockpit view / no instrument panel

Post by bill.thegreenman » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:30 pm

I just installed the PC-6 yesterday and I found two things which puzzle me:
1. When I select a PC-6 as my chosen aircraft in FSX/SE and it is in the process of reading the files to set it up, I get repeated "Failure to create Render Target" pop-up error messages. I can click through them by "Xing" them out once the plane loads.
2. When I go to the PC-6, Cockpit view, all I can get is a clear view forward from the left seat ... no instruments and not even a view of the front of the plane or the nose or propeller. This cockpit view zooms in and out, I can click right and left on the joystick directional cap view and look-out right, left, and behind me, but can't find a way to view the cockpit instruments and controls from the left seat. All the other views, including the right seat view with 360 pan and zoom in and zoom out works great.

Am I missing something and have not selected or set some view option or eye point properly or am I experiencing the results of an install error / failure?

BB :?

Slayer
Re: PC-6 Cockpit view / no instrument panel

Post by Slayer » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:14 pm

Sounds like an installation problem. Please make sure you exclude FSX from windows defender or your antivirus and run the installer as admin.

Are you using any kind of camera program like EZdok or Chaseplane?

bill.thegreenman

Post by bill.thegreenman » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:10 pm

No ... not using any sort of camera program like EZdok or Chaseplane. So, from what you are saying, I assume I need to un-install the PC-6 package first and then re-install, making sure I exclude FSX from windows defender and my antivirus softeware and re-run the PC-6 installer as admin, yes?

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:01 pm

bill.thegreenman wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:10 pm
No ... not using any sort of camera program like EZdok or Chaseplane. So, from what you are saying, I assume I need to un-install the PC-6 package first and then re-install, making sure I exclude FSX from windows defender and my antivirus softeware and re-run the PC-6 installer as admin, yes?
Yes , it's possible a file or two didn't end up getting installed so this would be my best guess as I haven't seen any other people report this.

bill.thegreenman

Post by bill.thegreenman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Thanks, Steve, I'll go back in and find more closely what is interrupting the full installation of the PC-6 software. I'll take screen shots as I go through my next installation attempt to capture any exceptions or problems to isolate what the specific problems are for me and my system.

bill.thegreenman

Post by bill.thegreenman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:40 pm

I have tried excluding FSX exc from BidDefenter Total Security (which automatically turns off Microsoft Defender. I've tried everything I can think of and the last 3 re-installations of PC-C exec has been clean, with no exceptions or error messages or antivirus alerts and still ... same result each time:

When I launch FSX and then choose one of the PC-6 planes, it loads and as soon as it goes to cockpit view (the default), I start getting repeating (18 to 30 times) error message: "Failure to Create Render Target". I click in the task bar at the bottom of the screen and it shows the origins of the error messages is from "Milviz Lighting Service".

I tried all the various view options for the cockpit view, zoomed in and out, tried different option keys and still no instrument panel in the "Cockpit View". I'm drawing a blank as to what else to do. Everything else on the PC-6 views seems to work fine, it start great, avionics all look good ... just no virtual cockpit view from the left seat. I can get a good virtual cockpit view from the right seat but that really does not get the job done. Any other thoughts on what is going on or something else I can try?

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:51 pm

Hi Bill I have moved this post to the support section. If you are getting lighting service errors it is possible you may not have all the C++ redistributables installed or your antivirus is killing the Milviz lighting service. Can you look in your control panel and post a snip or screenshot of what redistributables you have there?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=53587 is required for sure but there may be others I am checking to confirm.

I am concerned that you are running 4K resolution in FSX: SE and it cannot cope being only a 32 bit application.

Can you also confirm that you are using the newest FSX PC-6 version from the top of the support section here?

bill.thegreenman

Post by bill.thegreenman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:54 pm

OK, Slayer, I'll go check it out relative to your suggestions, comments, and requests and post the results ... thanks for the valuable feedback and I'll to digging ...

bill.thegreenman

Post by bill.thegreenman » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Slayer, here is a screen shot of my C++ Redistributables from a few minutes ago: (attached) I hope.

BB
Attachments
2020-12-16.png
2020-12-16.png (210.83 KiB) Viewed 1181 times

bill.thegreenman

Post by bill.thegreenman » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:37 pm

Slayer, Here is a copy and paste of the PC-6 install exec file from my downloads. I uninstalled it again yesterday because a repeat of the same issue(s) but I think this shows what version I am trying to fully install: (hmmm, guess I'll have to do a screen shot ...

And, relative to running FSX-SE in 4K display mode, I did not know that and I am not familiar with how to change that if that is needed.
Attachments
2020-12-16 (3).png
2020-12-16 (3).png (126.31 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:32 pm

It looks like you have the newest version.

What I mean regarding screen resolution is to lower it in the sim. If you are using a 4k monitor the screen resolution would be 3840 x 2160 , try running it at 1920x1080.

bill.thegreenman

Post by bill.thegreenman » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Slayer, thanks, that's very helpful & I will go into the sim and make that change of ensure resolution is not set higher than you suggest.

And, on the topic of making sure I have the latest and/or most complete set of VC++ Redistributables ... I have the following:
1. I clicked on the link you have in one of your suggestions above, for VC++ (2015, I believe) ... I downloaded the (x86) version (not sure that is the one you intended I ensure I have, because there is also a (x64) version I did not download) and my PC said it already had the VC++ 2015 (x86) installed. I did not see it in the Redistributables list though. So ...
2. From your looking further into it, are there any more redistributables I need to download (including VC++ 2015 (x64)) or am I good on this aspect now?
3. I did also see in my last PC-6 install attempt that it gave me the option of installing BOTH "XM Tools for FSX and P3D". I unchecked the box for the "P3D XML tools" ... I hope I did right and did not contribute to a problem in not selecting the P3D XML tools also. Just a thought.

In particular, thanks for all your work and assistance, I'm sure we can track-down what is missing or being disabled step-by-step. Much appreciation for your persistence. Thanks, Slayer (of issues and problems).

Bill

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:12 pm

Another user had success by disabling something in the compatibility settings for FSX but he didn't specify exactly which setting....
compat.JPG
compat.JPG (46.18 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
I know this is for V4 but it should show the same. Try checking the box that says "disable fullscreen optimizations" you can also try running it in Windows 7 compatibility mode at the top there.

Please go here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -downloads and download the vc_redist.x86.exe and vc_redist.x64.exe (Visual C++ redistributables) these are a combined package and should make sure you have the right redists. Install them both.

bill.thegreenman

Post by bill.thegreenman » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:40 pm

Ok, will do and report back. Thanks again!

bill.thegreenman

Post by bill.thegreenman » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Slayer, I don't want to assume anything so, in FSX in Steam, I am supposed to be on the regular version and NOT THE BETA version, right?

Bill

Return to “Pilatus PC-6 (FSX) Support Forum”