Setting ADF graduated rose [Answered]

danyaddamo
Setting ADF graduated rose [Answered]

Post by danyaddamo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:38 pm

Hi everyone. First of all congrats for the stunning development of this bird. Only few flights but seems everything works correct and nice.
Just a question: how I can rotate ADF graduated rose? I see it works together with hdg indicator, but I need it pointing on north to correct intercept NDB radial (I would like to intercept with parallel rule). How i can turn only the graduated rose?

Thx in advance,
Dan

olivier.ifrvfr
Re: Setting ADF graduated rose

Post by olivier.ifrvfr » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:31 am

Hi Dan,

this is not an ADF, it is an RMI.(Radio Magnetic Indicator) The main difference with the ADF display is that the rose is slaved to the gyro and always pointing on magnetic north.

So the reading on the needle is always the magnetic bearing to the station.

The way you intercept (I assume you are talking about holding pattern ?) depends on the way you are reaching the holding fix. Dependind on the sector you are in, you'll have to enter parallel, direct or teardrop.

danyaddamo
Re: Setting ADF graduated rose

Post by danyaddamo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 am

Hi Olivier,

many thanks for your explanation. I would like to use for navigation and of course for holding pattern. For navigation I used to follow a QDM of a radial and after I'm parallel to the radial i want to intercept, I turn of XX degrees. Once the ADF needle pointing on the same value of degree I choice I pointing the nose again to the QDM and in this way I'm on the radial i choosen. Anyway with the RMI is not possible to use this rule because is slaved to the gyro.

Thx,
Dan

olivier.ifrvfr
Re: Setting ADF graduated rose [Answered]

Post by olivier.ifrvfr » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:49 am

With an RMI, you will read directly the radial that you are crossing (or following if you are en route to or from the NDB).
So to intercept the radial you want to fly, turn to intercept when the reading is closing to the radial you choose.

It is much easier than using an old ADF gauge. No more OBS manipulation.

Return to “Pilatus PC-6 Support Forum”