Help with C310R - Fuel Flow

Chuck Jodry
Re: Help with C310R - Fuel Flow

Post by Chuck Jodry » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:09 pm

Will take a look at why in the morning .

Best CJ

Chuck Jodry

Post by Chuck Jodry » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:03 pm

RE Fuel Flow Gauge : both 2D and 3D gauges are in my assessments reading exactly the same in all sims for a given rpm and are working nominally using the latest v180301 .

Are we discussing the fuel flow gauge on the Co Pilots instrument panel?

Best CJ

Jamcd787

Post by Jamcd787 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:59 am

Chuck,

Thanks so much for your reply. We develop P3D training missions for a flight school. We really like your 310. (also I own and regularly fly a 310Q)

My testing has resulted in:
v171127: 3D fuel flow (copilot's panel) working correctly. 2D also working correctly. (btw, this is in the fuel_flow.xml and incorrectly had a 8 * factor, it needs 1 *)
v180301: 3D fuel flow (copilot's panel) not reading correctly again. - don't know why.
v180313 (Redux): 3D fuel flow works correctly... but, I have other issues with the redux design.

Problems I experience with the redux:
1) The aux tank lights don't work - if you click them (test), they light up, but don't respond to the fuel selector valves on aux. I looked at the .xml code and it seems correct. probably an error in the .dll?
2) The new textures look wonderful! - in 4k. unfortunately, our scenario-based flight training missions all run in 1920x1080 and very hard to upgrade.
3) The redux seems to have only the throttles as a 2D panel. the main panel doesn't work and others are gone now. unfortunately, our hardware controller mappings pop up the 2D panels and use them for setting switches, checklists, etc. we really need the 2D panels.

Can we buy additional licenses for the old version? v180301? The website only offers the redux now. If we move to that, we will have a lot of redesign work for our training missions...
Can you advise me?

best,
jim

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:18 am

Jim. Are you using the 310 in your training syllabus?

ThomasAH

Post by ThomasAH » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:27 am

Jamcd787 wrote:I looked at the .xml code and it seems correct. probably an error in the .dll?
I have the impression, but not completely verified, that there are some unused XML files from the old C310R contained in the Redux package.

Chuck Jodry

Post by Chuck Jodry » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Jim , what panel were you running when the inaccuracies in the fuelflow indicator were demonstrated? F1 , base or Mindstar

Best CJ

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:50 pm

Jamcd787 wrote:My testing has resulted in:
v171127: 3D fuel flow (copilot's panel) working correctly. 2D also working correctly. (btw, this is in the fuel_flow.xml and incorrectly had a 8 * factor, it needs 1 *)
The 8 * correction factor is required for those who use FSX, FSX:SE or P3Dv1. The fuel flow variables do not return properly scaled values, so the correction scalar is necessary. Those who use P3Dv2, 3, or 4 do not require the correction scalar since L-M has fixed the internal sim variables to return proper pph values.

The correction scalar for fuel flow you found in the fuel_flow.xml, but that only affects the 2d panel gauge. The correction scalar for the 3d VC gauge is located in the C310_DME.xml gauge. I placed it there simply because that is the only gauge that is common to both the 2d and VC windows. I did not want the correction scalar compiled into the actual model because then it wouldn't be 'correctable' easily.
Jamcd787 wrote:Problems I experience with the redux:
1) The aux tank lights don't work - if you click them (test), they light up, but don't respond to the fuel selector valves on aux. I looked at the .xml code and it seems correct. probably an error in the .dll?
2) The new textures look wonderful! - in 4k. unfortunately, our scenario-based flight training missions all run in 1920x1080 and very hard to upgrade.
3) The redux seems to have only the throttles as a 2D panel. the main panel doesn't work and others are gone now. unfortunately, our hardware controller mappings pop up the 2D panels and use them for setting switches, checklists, etc. we really need the 2D panels.
A1) The AUX lamps were coded to only illuminate when the fuel quantity in the wing lockers reaches close to the unusable level, i.e. < 10 gallons. This is how Ken Stallings' C310R is set up, which is the aircraft upon which we based our product.

A2) You can resize the textures via Photoshop, GIMP, PSP, or even DXTBMP as necessary.

A3) It is possible to take the 2d panel and popups from the original C310R and use them in the C310R Redux Edition. All of the required 2d gauges remain available in the C310_XMLGauges.cab file. The only change in the C310R Redux was the pilot side lighting panel, with some of the switches rearranged, so the popup is slightly different, but still works precisely the same.

I hope that the above is helpful.

Jamcd787

Post by Jamcd787 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Colin,
We are developing training missions and would like to use the 310 for ME training since it's a great P3D model. We had inquired about this and I received a response that we would be required to buy a license for each computer we use - which is how we intend to comply with the license agreement. Please let us know if there are other requirements (like mentioning Milviz copyright?) Our plan is to buy a bunch of licenses once our development is complete.

Chuck,
I am running the freeradio with GNS500. We may move to the 530/430 setup though. Actually, I tried different ones but the 3D GPSs were unresponsive - I assume I need additional licenses?

I also discovered, after a bit of testing, that the 310R_XML.CAB file in /panel has no subdirectories for 640 and 1024 (the one in /panel.freeradio is correct, but panels.cfg refers to the other one) - this causes the HSI to be scrambled in the 2D panel (main panel). Of course, the latest Redux eliminates the 2D panels.

Even the latest model seems to always start with one side cowl flap open and the other closed. I noticed that the logic.xml file has COWLFLAP1_SET for both lines of code, I think one should be COWLFLAP2_SET.

Once again confirmed that v180301 has the 3D (VC) fuel flow gauge bug, but v171127 is working correctly 2D and 3D.
v180313 works correctly, but no 2D panels and a couple small bugs.

Appreciate your help!
jim

Jamcd787

Post by Jamcd787 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi Bill,

I just saw your post. Thanks!! This is very helpful. I would like to use some of the 2D panels since we already created structured scenarios that pop them up and use them for running training checklists. Glad to know that would work - I'll create the panel.cfg, etc. Happy to send them back to you guys if it's useful.

Regarding the textures, I just reduce the resolution a bit? I have not specifically edited textures before but comfortable with Photoshop, etc. Any suggestions welcome.

Regarding the 310R vs. my 310Q which has aux tanks (in the wings, not lockers) and the lights are on whenever the auxs are selected. This is also noted in the user manual.pdf. I don't know how the 310R operates, so thanks for the info.

I also noticed that the fuel selectors in the "throttles" 2D panel don't sequence properly, I can send you a fixed one.

Last oddball item - the cowl flap levers start up one open, one closed. This seems to be due to the logic.xml file referring to COWLFLAPS1_SET twice, instead of COWLFLAPS2_SET?
Not sure but even when I set the cowl flaps initial position in the .fxml, still starts up "split"...
(btw, my 310Q has augmenter tubes and alternate air controls)

It's a really cool aircraft. Thanks again!!

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:19 pm

Jamcd787 wrote: Regarding the textures, I just reduce the resolution a bit? I have not specifically edited textures before but comfortable with Photoshop, etc. Any suggestions welcome.
All of the textures (.dds) are 2048x2048. Load in PS and change the Image Size to 1024x1024 then save back as .dds files.
Jamcd787 wrote: I also noticed that the fuel selectors in the "throttles" 2D panel don't sequence properly, I can send you a fixed one.
The upcoming service release has corrected the 3d decals to match the 2d popup (which is correct), and I've rationalized the controls so they synch properly. I included the 2d popup simply because it's a major PITA to access and use the VC valves, even with the new camera view in the VC.
Jamcd787 wrote: Last oddball item - the cowl flap levers start up one open, one closed. This seems to be due to the logic.xml file referring to COWLFLAPS1_SET twice, instead of COWLFLAPS2_SET?
Not sure but even when I set the cowl flaps initial position in the .fxml, still starts up "split"...
Your timing is serendipitous, as it came in time for me to correct the initialization script in the logic.xml file before compiling a new installer. ;)

I'm concerned about your lack of the two sub-folders in the C310_XMLGauges.CAB file as I've removed nothing from them. I say "them" because there is a slightly different version for the P3Dv4.2 x64 platform.

Thanks for the kind assistance! :ugeek:

Jamcd787

Post by Jamcd787 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm

Bill,

Thanks kindly for your replies. Just to be clear, the /640 /1024 subdirectories problem was only in the older v171127, I think and fixed in later versions (so all better now.)

Glad the fuel selectors are fixed - agreed that the 3D is hard to pan to. Pop up better.

The fuel lights - Sorry to be confusing, but let me try to explain better what I'm seeing...

There are two sets of fuel lights:
1) center panel "low fuel" lights which monitor the main (tip) tanks for less than 10g.
2) copilots panel "aux fuel" lights which indicate that the auxes are *selected* (I believe in all 310s, even the R - switching to mains before t/o or landing is a checklist item)
(btw, all previous versions of Milviz 310 have this working correctly, the redux changed it)

There are two sets of .xml files: (I just mention the Left, but there's a Right too)
C310_Fuel_Low_Left.xml = low fuel lights
C310_FuelTest_Left.xml = aux lights

Both use the "C310_FuelLowTest_ON.bmp" file since it's just a lit amber lamp.

Internal to these .xml files, there is a "Gauge Name", which is correct for the Fuel Low Left/Right files, but not in the C310_FuelTest_Left.xml files. (it's still set to Fuel Low Left)

One confusing thing is that ALL these lamps light up when you press them to test the bulbs. (L:FuelTest_Left) and (L:TestFuelLight_Left)
The C310_FuelTest_Left/Right.xml files drive (or should drive) the aux lamps on the copilots panel. The logic in these files seems correct - test button OR tank 2 selected (aux).
I suspect the problem is in the 3D panels for the redux and both sets of lights are driven from the low fuel logic, not the aux logic. The Gauge Names are wrong in the files?

Anyway, let me know if there's a fix, I don't know if I can fix it from the .xml files only.

I'm happy to help with beta testing and minor development going forward.
Thanks again! Love the 310.

jim

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:21 pm

Jamcd787 wrote:(btw, all previous versions of Milviz 310 have this working correctly, the redux changed it)

Internal to these .xml files, there is a "Gauge Name", which is correct for the Fuel Low Left/Right files, but not in the C310_FuelTest_Left.xml files. (it's still set to Fuel Low Left)
The first point is odd, since I did the coding/scripting/model compiling for both the old and the new...

The internal "Gauge Name" is totally irrelevant, as it has no real purpose. It's there just to remind whoever's scripting it what it is he/she is working on! :mrgreen:

Since I'm going to compile a new version anyway, I'll take care of the AUX FUEL lights as well.

EDIT: AUX lights now come on when the AUX tank(s) are selected, or when tested. Since Ken's aircraft apparently is an outlier, I've decided to fix them to match the more common arrangement. This will fix your checklist training flows.

Jamcd787

Post by Jamcd787 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Bill,

This is much appreciated. Glad I can help rather than just bugging you guys with questions.
I understand about the internal gauge name, just thought that might be contributing to a mix-up.

I'll start to build the 2D pop-up panels now.

One final question, and pardon my ignorance of aircraft models: you mentioned that I can reduce the texture resolutions using photoshop (needs an add-on), or other tools. I'm using DXT something or other. I can access the .dds files, but they all seem to be 4MB in both the old 310 and the redux.

When I run the redux in 1920x1080, I get a lot of "glare" aliasing around the gauges and other internal cockpit things. Can you direct me to specific files I can modify?

thanks

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Check the image sizes and reduce any that are 2048x2048 to 1024x1024.

If you are running P3Dv4.2, try disabling HDR. It does tend to not work as well as L-M hoped it would.

Return to “310 Support Forum”