Only 8 fps no matter what I do

bob-m
Only 8 fps no matter what I do

Post by bob-m » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:09 pm

No matter what I try, I only get around 8 fps inside and out for the PA-30 in P3Dv4.3, which makes the plane
pretty unflyable. While fps aren`t the end-all of P3Dv4 flying, single digit fps are pretty much a stutter show.

I've downloaded and installed three times with my AV off (alhough I've never had a problem downloading and
installing with Milviz products before). All my other Milviz planes, like the two Otters, Beaver, C310, B55, the
various F14's, all get a solid 30 fps in P3Dv4.3 (with Vsync off and P3Dv4 limiter locked at 30 fps).

I've tried loading the C310 first (with it`s 30 fps), and then selecting the PA-30, but the fps immediately fall down
to 8 as soon as the PA-30 loads.

System is old, but well above recommended specs (I5 2500K @ 4.2 ghz, GTX 980, 16 gb ram, Win 7).

P3Dv4.3 is on a different drive than C. Both P3Dv4 and MVAMS are excluded from my AV scans.

PA-30 is at default in MVAM.

I hope there is a solution; the twinkie looks really nice, but as said, with only single digit fps, it's impossible to fly.

Thanks - Bob

N4GIX
Re: Only 8 fps no matter what I do

Post by N4GIX » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:37 pm

I consistently get ~35 fps with the Twinkie with Autopilot and GTN750/650 running.

Do you still get low fps after rebooting the sim and immediately loading your sim and Twinkie?

bob-m

Post by bob-m » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:24 pm

No difference in fps re-booting the sim, it stays around 8 fps. And no difference if I turn Vsync on and set fps to unlimited. If I then select another
plane, like the Milviz C310 while still at unlimited, then the fps shoot up to around 45-50 fps when the C310 loads.

Something on my machine is running interference for this particular plane, or else the install isn't going right (although I've done it three times
now), but I just can't think what.

I'll think some more about it, but any suggestions welcome.

Thanks - Bob

raymengel

Post by raymengel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:19 am

Do you experience poor fps with both Twinkie panels? It looks like you're using the "updated" panel. If you get good fps with the "old school" panel, then you will know it is something in the updated panel that is causing your fps problem. Just a shot in the dark but worth a try.

wells

Post by wells » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:29 pm

I'm currently having the same problem Bob, trying to troubleshoot

bob-m

Post by bob-m » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:40 pm

Update: still no luck trying to fix this, I still only get 8 to 10 fps no matter what try.

I am using the default old school panel set up in MVAMs.

So far I have tried uninstalling/re-installing the plane making sure my AV was off and all exclusions were in place;
I deleted the P3Dv4 Shaders folder and P3Dv4 .cfg file, and let P3Dv4 rebuild them;
I have tried using the default load flight (F22 at Elgin), and changing that default load to others.

I had been installing the PA-30 directly into the P3Dv4 root folder, so I also tried loading into an outboard .xml
folder, but again, no change, still 8 to 10 fps.

While in the outboard folder, I did get an error message when I tried to load the PA-30, to the effect;

"System cannot find the path specified, Full Error Code 0x3, Location 5, ...\SimObjects\MV_Twinkie\Panel\MVSounds\
SND1.wav" to "...SND25.wav" (there were 25 such error messages.

Looking in the Panel folder showed why, there was no sub-folder named "MVSounds", instead there was a sub-folder named
"TW_Sounds", and it had .wav files SND1.wav to SND25.wav. But I never got this error message when the plane was installed
into the P3Dv4 root folder, and re-naming the "TW_Sounds" sub-folder to "MVSounds" removed the error message, but made
no difference to the 8-10 fps. So it probably means nothing.

I did once manage to get the PA-30 at a rock solid 30 fps inside and out. It was after I deleted the P3Dv4 .cfg file, the PA-30
was installed in the P3Dv4 root folder, I loaded the default F22 at Elgin scenario, and then selected the PA-30. And everything
worked, and the fps were rock solid 30 fps. But when I went out of P3Dv4 and tried re-loading again, no matter what or how I
tried to re-load, the fps were back to 8 to 10 fps.

I'm now out of ideas. I haven't tried deleting the P3Dv4 .cfg file again, but I'm beginning to wonder if there could be a gauge
somewhere in my P3Dv4 install that has the same name as one of the gauges in the PA-30's folder, and is over-writing it when
the plane is loaded. But if so, I wouldn't know how to check that out, or how to go about looking.

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks - Bob

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:38 pm

Bob, the Twinkie must be installed to the P3Dv4.x root folder. There are modules that expect it to be in that precise path.

What panel configuration were you loading when the Sound errors occurred. I've checked all 20 of the various panel.cfg files archived in the ..\PanelConfigs folder and they all have the correct path to the ..\TW_Sounds folder.

Code: Select all

gauge00=MV3DSound!MV3DS,  0,0,1,1,SimObjects\\Airplanes\\MV_Twinkie\\panel\\TW_Sounds#25
What you can try is commenting out the gaugenn= entries in the [Vcockpit01] section one at a time to see which (if any) of them are causing the low fps. For example, put a double-slash (//) in front of the entry like this:

Code: Select all

//gauge00=MV3DSound!MV3DS,  0,0,1,1,SimObjects\\Airplanes\\MV_Twinkie\\panel\\TW_Sounds#25

bob-m

Post by bob-m » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:44 pm

OK, I found out what I need to do to get full fps.

The plane doesn't seem to fully load when first selected. Once the plane has loaded (with it's 8 to 10 fps), I have to go to
"Select Vehicles", and select the plane again (same livery or different makes no difference). When the plane loads this
second time, then it's at full fps.

It seems to make no difference what selections I make in MVAMs, or what gauges I comment out in the panel config.

Once the plane has loaded this second time, it performs just fine. I must admit, the plane is very nicely done, and
worth this two load wait I guess, but it is strange why this happens. It doesn't happen with any other plane I have. The
plane doesn't seem to have a particularly heavy texture load, and once loaded the second time, runs at a very
solid 30 fps, both inside and out, and doesn't seem to pose any problems for my system.

Anyway, problem solved, sort of.

- Bob

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks for the report. I cannot imagine just what might not be loading completely on first load. But then I just broke the little toe on my left foot, so I'm not in the best shape to do much "deep thinking..." :lol:

simone

Post by simone » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 am

Hi everyone,
I have the same issue, 8fps but i can't solve by load the aircraft twice...
The airplane take lot of time to load itself, is possibile to see all parts loaded one after the other...
Then 8fps...
Pls help!
Cheers!!

simone

Post by simone » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:51 am

Ah, forgot to say, the aircraft most time make prepar3d crash

doodlebug

Post by doodlebug » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:37 pm

For the low fps, please try this:

In the SimObjects\Airplanes\{your aircraft}\Panel folder, rename "Panel.cfg" to "Panel.cfg.old" and rename "Panel.NoTransparent.cfg" to "Panel.cfg"

The crashing is a separate issue. Please go through the troubleshooter Q&A to identify the problem. If it still crashes, please start a new thread including any error reports.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:52 pm

@doodlebug you sure that applies? I thought that was only for the KingAir. The PA30 doesn't have a Panel.NoTransparent.cfg.

simone

Post by simone » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:17 pm

doodlebug wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:37 pm
For the low fps, please try this:

In the SimObjects\Airplanes\{your aircraft}\Panel folder, rename "Panel.cfg" to "Panel.cfg.old" and rename "Panel.NoTransparent.cfg" to "Panel.cfg"

The crashing is a separate issue. Please go through the troubleshooter Q&A to identify the problem. If it still crashes, please start a new thread including any error reports.

@ doodlebug - There isn't a Panel.NoTransparent.cfg

doodlebug

Post by doodlebug » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:36 pm

I too had been suffering 10 - 12 fps. With help from our dev team I have been trying to isolate the problem. The first suspect was the textures, But modifying the panel.cfg file only yielded another 2fps. We then turned off TrueGlass and RealLight which made no difference at all.

in the end I reinstalled P3D and voila! I now have 50 fps! (I did not re-install the Twinkie, or any other add-ons)
Let me know if it works for you.

Return to “Piper PA30 Support Forum”