Engine sound and throttle movement

AviatorMan
Engine sound and throttle movement

Post by AviatorMan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm

I have noticed that advancing /reducing the propeller rpm lever provides several different sounds. I.e. if you are at max rpm and start reducing, the engine sounds reduce in several stages. However, if you are landing, and advance the prop/rpm to full forward (as most checklists specify) and then start to reduce throttle to slow the aircraft, sometimes there seems to be no reduction in engine sound - it just sounds like the engine is at nearly max MAP. Has anyone else experienced this?

MikeM
Re: Engine sound and throttle movement

Post by MikeM » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:51 pm

...if you are landing, and advance the prop/rpm to full forward (as most checklists specify) and then start to reduce throttle to slow the aircraft, sometimes there seems to be no reduction in engine sound...
This is mostly due to a limitation in the FSX/P3D sound system. The volume and playback rate is either tied to MAP or RPM. To make it behave realistically you would need to be able to use MAP and RPM as input, which is not possible using the FSX/P3D sound system. The PA30 sound uses RPM input because it results in correct engine noise in most flight phases (on ground, taxi, takeoff, cruise, descent).

Airspeed also weighs into the equation by the way, below ~90 kts. the throttle lever will have a noticeable effect on RPM. The lower the airspeed, the bigger the influence of the throttle lever on RPM becomes. For a quick test, try high speed landing with flaps up and a low speed landing with flaps full down and you'll instantly notice the difference :)

Mike
Resident MV Sound Engineer

AviatorMan

Post by AviatorMan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:03 pm

I am not convinced it is just an FSX/P3D sound system limitation. I also own the A2A V Bonanza, and the sound responds to both MAP and RPM.

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Have you tried pressing the "Q" key twice when the issue occurs?

As far as I'm aware A2A uses, at least to some degree, a custom coded sound system to provide engine and prop noise.

AviatorMan

Post by AviatorMan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Ye, I expect you are right about A2A using their custom code to achieve the fuller MAP and RPM sounds, and a bit surprised that Milviz hasn't done the same.

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:34 pm

because A2A charges 70$. We do not.

Return to “Piper PA30 Support Forum”