F-4E ADV flight model help

chipwich
F-4E ADV flight model help

Post by chipwich » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:03 pm

Greetings,

I mostly fly combat sims in DCS and IL2 GB, but recently have circled back to P3D to fly the Milviz Phantoms and Hun (dad flew both). The Hun feels pretty good, but having some questions about the Phantom ADV. My P3D setup is pretty much stock out of the box, except for button assignments. I haven't added/changed any curves or added dead zones. My controller setup is a Thrustmaster WH with a Virpil T50 CM2 base. It sets up in P3D pretty much like a stock Warthog, if anyone is curious. The Virpil stick base is extremely precise and smooth compared to the TM base.

My P3D is the latest build as of 29 Sept 19 (4.5.13.32097), which broke TacPack of course. I would have remained on an older version, but had to do a foundation rebuild of P3D after losing a Crucial SSD drive. Anyway, we are back up now and what I notice is that the Phantom is very twitchy in pitch and roll, especially roll, and doesn't feel like a heavy fighter. Note that I'm not saying it's wrong, but more likely that I need to add a curve, use FSUIPC, or just not fly it until TacPack has been updated. I'd also like a little more granularity in the pitch trim, which seems like it moves too much with a tap. What do you Phantom vets do to get the best feel for this aircraft, which I read has an accurate FM?

- Dan

JonathanBleeker
Re: F-4E ADV flight model help

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Three things when using the ADV jets in P3D:

1: Make sure your realism sliders are fully to the right and not just slightly off full. The crash realism one can be set to minimum though.

2: Make sure your control input method is set to DirectInput, not RawInput (Controls Menu->Other).

3: Make sure your axis sensitivity sliders are set to max. For some reason we see funny things with lower sensitivities.

I personally don't find it twitchy. There has been a lot of debate over this, with some finding unflyable and others having no issue, but usually the above clears things up.

One other thing is to set 2 units of nose down trim before takeoff and be sure to trim trim trim.

chipwich
Re: F-4E ADV flight model help

Post by chipwich » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:37 am

Thanks Jonathan. Will give those a try. Sorry for the delayed reply, but when the post was moved it took me a while to find my way here. Great to find a support forum dedicated to the advanced version.

Edit: OK, that is very much improved. I took out most of the dead zone as well. Feels very smooth and responsive without the twitchy feeling that was there before. Thanks again.

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-4 E Advanced Support Phorum”