F-4E Reinstall in P3D 4.5?

ColoKent
F-4E Reinstall in P3D 4.5?

Post by ColoKent » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:20 pm

I've just upgraded to P3D V 4.5, and some time ago, I uninstalled the F-4E, as it was problematic-- flew poorly, difficult to control, etc.

Seeing that it supposedly supports P3D 4.5, I would to reinstall it. However, I want to ensure that I install it correctly. I want to fly it in a non-TACPACK configuration. My understanding is that the following is the correct install sequence (with Anti Virus and UAC - OFF):

1. Base F-4E
2. ADV F-4E

And then to be safe, I would probably do a restart. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Kent

doodlebug
Re: F-4E Reinstall in P3D 4.5?

Post by doodlebug » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:32 pm

that is correct

ColoKent

Post by ColoKent » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:32 am

Thanks!

Kent

ColoKent

Post by ColoKent » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:28 pm

I’ve pretty well tried everything I’ve seen in other threads (select “direct” on controls, install the base pkg, restart, then install the ADV package and restart), but the F-4E is essentially uncontrollable in 4.5. On takeoff soon after rotation and getting airborne, the nose rears up at about 200kts, and despite messing with trim, never flies stable— particularly in the pitch axis.

I also believe I may have had an outdated MVAMS, because mine never seems to look for, download or install updates (which I believe is what the current version is supposed to do?). I REALLY want the F-4E to work again. In fact, I repurchased the entire package again a week ago and reinstalled it to ensure I had the latest version of the package. No luck.

As a result, last night, I removed every Milviz airplane from my system, and I plan to reinstall them all one by one tonight. The T-38A ADV RDX flies like a dream, as did the F-86 and F-100D. I am going to turn off AV and redownload my packages...I am hopeful that in the process of redownloading and reinstalling the airplanes MVAMS will get reinstalled too, and perhaps updated. I have to believe I am missing a patch or some fix for the F-4E, as it wobbles around the sky and it did not do that in the early days of P3D v4.

I’ll keep you posted on how it goes. I love the MILVIZ F-4E ADV...and am hoping it’s not hard-broke.

Kent

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Any custom liveries being added?

Alvaro

Post by Alvaro » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:15 pm

Make sure all SAS switches are on.

The real F-4 is a trim, trim, trim...aircraft. Each airspeed change will need from a pitch retrim.

The takeoff needs to be anticipated with some trim nose down (yes!) to overcome the pitchup from flaps retraction as well as the airspeed effect on fcs (increasing airspeed pitch up, and the opposite).

However, the aircraft is quite dynamically stable and damped in the three axes.

ColoKent

Post by ColoKent » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:24 pm

No custom liveries installed...yet.

Also...I agree that the F-4E needs lots of trim...but the level of trim changes required as it exists is unworkable, leaving one porposing through the sky...perpetually behind the airplane....It is nearly impossible to fly a stable approach. I will try your comment about all SAS switches on (I’ve been flying with only Pitch on to extinguish the annunciation).

I’m open to any inputs, however.

Kent

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:37 pm

Only other items I can think of are:

Realism sliders not fully to the right although giving the appearance that they are

Value input range from FSUIPC not +-16383 (ie could be exceeding). Verify that your stick animation reaches its limit when your hardware does and not before?

And also potentially aft CoG due to loadout configuration (not sure how possible this is. Alvaro?)

ColoKent

Post by ColoKent » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Great inputs/suggestions JB. I will add them to the list things to check.

BTW...from a CoG standpoint, I typically fly with two external tanks. But I see an identical issue when flying “clean”.

Quick question...what are potential problems I need to be aware of if/when I get it flying correctly, and add custom liveries? Could adding those mess something up (short of inadvertently deleting aircraft.cfg entries!)?

Thanks,

Kent

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:12 pm

I seem to recall an issue where someone installed a livery package that used an old aircraft cfg/airfile combo that overwrote the ADV files leaving the external flight model code fighting with the sim. When liveries are added, one should make sure to only copy the flightsim sections over, and to make sure the sim= entry in each matches the ADV's airfile name.

ColoKent

Post by ColoKent » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:25 pm

Ah...ensuring the correct sim in the .cfg file. Got it.

K

ColoKent

Post by ColoKent » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:47 am

Well...I have the answer. But first: I disabled AV. I redownloaded the entire package. I reinstalled the entire package. I checked to make sure the FUIPC wasn't an issue...it wasn't. I did however, do the following:

- Pitch, Yaw and Roll SAS switches to "on"
- Found the trim indicator, and dialed in 3 degrees NOSE DOWN trim before pushing the throttles up (takes a LOT longer than I was taking to put in what I ASSUMED to be 3 degrees without looking at the guage.

Took off, cleaned up gear and flaps, came out of burner, and retrimed with no problem coming up through 250 KTS to 300 KTS.

Worked fine. Stabilized approaches, and landings were similarly do-able.

I wasn't following anything close to proper procedure. :oops:

Back to the Replacement Training Unit (RTU) for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Nice to have the F-4E back and running.

Kent

tojo

Post by tojo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:15 pm

I gave up with the F4 in P3D4.5 but left it in, I have just come back to the forum after a long absence and
I see that I was not the one imagining these problems, so I will now try one final time to get it flyable using
these suggestions.

tojo

Post by tojo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:14 pm

Ok did as suggested and got it taking of in a stable condition, but after a while it starts to wallow especially in
trying to line up for landing it seems, anything below 220 knots.
Not wasting any more time on this too frustrating !!!!£££. deleting it from my system

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:55 am

What was your weight on landing? Fully fueled isn’t going to be all that happy at low speed.

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-4 E Advanced Support Phorum”