310 Taxi Problems

golfguyw5
310 Taxi Problems

Post by golfguyw5 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:21 pm

I'm sure this topic has been addressed previously but I have spent hours trying to taxi my 310 Redux in a relatively straight line but it just doesn't happen.
I have looked in various forums but so far no joy. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Dennis

fppilot
Re: 310 Taxi Problems

Post by fppilot » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:07 pm

User to user: Would you please provide more background? Which simulator? What controls are you using? What method(s)/software are you using to calibrate? Note the (s). What exactly are you experiencing? Is you experience during taxi? during takeoff roll? during landing roll out? Are you noting any annotations of application of brakes (lower left corner of screen).

golfguyw5

Post by golfguyw5 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Hello fppilot:

Thanks for getting back to me.

Sim is P3DV4, Saitek/Logitech ProFlight Pro Throttle Quad and Yoke, Saitek Pro Pedals. I'm using standard P3D calibration (not FSUIPC) with Saitek recommended settings. On takeoff, I gradually apply throttle as I start out on the center line but as I gain speed the nose starts to drift in a left or right position that cannot be controlled buy rudder pedal correction. If I manage to stay on the runway, eventually with enough speed I can get back to the center line. Anything below 70 or 80 kias I have very little control. Landings pretty much the same but obviously in reverse (can hold center line at touchdown but as speed decreases the swaying starts again. I have no seen any brake annotations (differential brakes) during taxi.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks again.

Dennis

fppilot

Post by fppilot » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:20 am

golfguyw5 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:42 pm
Hello fppilot:

Thanks for getting back to me.

Sim is P3DV4, Saitek/Logitech ProFlight Pro Throttle Quad and Yoke, Saitek Pro Pedals. I'm using standard P3D calibration (not FSUIPC) with Saitek recommended settings. On takeoff, I gradually apply throttle as I start out on the center line but as I gain speed the nose starts to drift in a left or right position that cannot be controlled buy rudder pedal correction. If I manage to stay on the runway, eventually with enough speed I can get back to the center line. Anything below 70 or 80 kias I have very little control. Landings pretty much the same but obviously in reverse (can hold center line at touchdown but as speed decreases the swaying starts again. I have no seen any brake annotations (differential brakes) during taxi.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks again.

Dennis
This rings a bell so to speak. There are multiple opportunities or lets say avenues toward (a) rudder configuration, and (b) rudder calibration. Several years ago I was experiencing much the same. What I found in my case were multiple influences. At the time I had the Saitek drivers and setup/app; had the rudders identified and assigned in the simulator (FSX at that time); was using the original Spad substitute driver for Saitek products; and also had FSUIPC in play. Later I replaced the original Spad driver/App with the successor Spad:next. I dumbed all that down to just FSUIPC and my issues went away. I had to remove all rudder influence from all other influences. That may not be the issue you are encountering, but I challenge you to look for multiple influences and eliminate all but one.

golfguyw5

Post by golfguyw5 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:34 pm

I agree with your comments but the taxi problems are really only occurring with the Milviz 310. I don’t have taxi problems
With other twins (Turbine Duke, Navajo, Baron, King Air.). My Logitech controls all have current updated drivers and plug ins.
I don’t use Spad or FSUIPC for calibration. I have used prop adjustment and rudder trim to try to counter the swaying at low speeds but I just feel this shouldn’t be necessary.

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:48 am

Try maintaining forward pressure on the elevator until you come close to rotation airspeed. This will keep some weight on the nose wheel and help maintain the 'drifting' you've described. It will also aid stability while taxiing.

golfguyw5

Post by golfguyw5 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:01 pm

N4GIX

Thanks for the reply. That elevator pressure tip did make a huge difference both on take off and landing. It's still not the easiest bird I've flown while its on the ground but now that I can keep it relatively straight at low speeds I can practice enough to stay on or close to center line.

I appreciate the expertise.
Dennis

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:32 pm

I figured this out during the many, many months I spent working on this project... 8-)

golfguyw5

Post by golfguyw5 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Well you sue did a great job. It's a great plane to fly and the perfect light twin. Thanks again and all the best.

Dennis

Return to “310 Redux Support Forum”