Radio Range Courses

blockwood
Radio Range Courses

Post by blockwood » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:10 pm

I have been flying a lot of Radio Range routes and I have notice a problem with the on course tones.

I noticed this when I started flying routes with significant magnetic variation.

The courses for all of the Radio Range stations are magnetic courses and I got a steady tone when I was on the "True" course outbound from the station.

I found this out flying between Millinocket, Maine (MT, 592 KHz) to Montreal, Canada (UM, 249 KHz). Traveling Westbound from Millinocket, I was very far North of course (291 degree) before the "A" became a steady tone. I continued to fly 310 degrees magnetic and the tone stayed steady. I should have been hearing a solid "N". This was true for Montreal and also for Megantic, Canada.

Can you confirm that all four course Radio bearings are magnetic and the gauge is supposed to give Magnetic bearing information.

Dutch
Re: Radio Range Courses

Post by Dutch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:16 am

Yes, Adcock range courses are magnetic and they should be in the simulation.

During testing and during the making of the video, they were magnetic, so I don't know what may have caused them to shift or be off in certain locations. We'll get to the bottom of it.

One significant fact is that the rules for the assignment of N and A quadrants are different in Canada than other countries. This caused some problems in development. I notice that your examples are all Canadian or involve stations in Canada.

Oddly, the courses were sometimes unreliable in real life, and there were some tragic CFITs because of erroneous signals. One of the reasons VOR was a great improvement.

Dutch

blockwood
Re: Radio Range Courses

Post by blockwood » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks for your assistance. I flew with another guy when I checked it and he had the same result.

Yes, Canada did it differently with the quadrants, using the 315 degree True North line to determine the "N" quadrant, vs. the 360 degree line in the United States.

I really like flying the Radio Range. It requires a lot of work and planning but is very rewarding.

I always hoped someone would come out with a Radio Range product, especially for FSX.

Return to “Bobcat Support Forum”