Staggered dual engine failure on departure

sharpless281
Re: Staggered dual engine failure on departure

Post by sharpless281 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:43 am

I started having problem anytime I fill out the check list to the letter using the user guide. Something I am doing is wrong even though the control light panel warnings are al good. After 10 minutes or so both engines quit. Torque is 80% prop 1630. I wish the MVAMS would report why. That may be something it cannot do. I think that there needs to be a option No Engine Failure more so for those learning the aircraft (setting P3D to easy has no effect) This plane is unique, everything works so if something set wrong, poof. Another option maybe if No Engine Fail is not possible, leave the status of the aircraft ready to taxi.

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:50 am

I believe someone said if you write protect the configuration file that contains the engine wear it will not fail anymore. If you're not firewalling the throttles then it could be hot starting.

kevin_firth

Post by kevin_firth » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:52 pm

sharpless281 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:43 am
I wish the MVAMS would report why. That may be something it cannot do.
This might be useful, but after a few flights I soon got into the hang of engine management and now I have no issues. A good tip is also to WAIT until the engine rpms stabilise at 70 before introducing fuel, and when you do, do it slowly only to the detent.

sharpless281

Post by sharpless281 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm

Thanks guys. The firewall is new to me so I need to read up more on that, I am not a pilot so I missed that calling. However, since everything is working with this aircraft which is great, there is more too it. I am doing something wrong because when I use the Ready To Start everything works perfect. Cold stat and going through the checklist I am missing something, so need to do more reading. Thanks for the tip Kevin, anything helps. Since I am not a pilot, this aircraft is a great addition. When the engine does quit I really feel it in my seat so nice job with the sounds on this aircraft.

meese91

Post by meese91 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:14 am

kevin_firth wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:52 pm
his might be useful, but after a few flights I soon got into the hang of engine management and now I have no issues. A good tip is also to WAIT until the engine rpms stabilise at 70 before introducing fuel, and when you do, do it slowly only to the detent.
You'd be better off monitoring the N1, not RPM. Since it's a free-turbine (there's no physical link between compressor and power turbine), the prop RPM could spin faster or slower than expected at any given N1 value during the start, and too low an N1 value is what will give you a hot start. The minimum N1 for fuel introduction is 12%, but many operators of both King Airs and other PT6-powered aircraft recommend waiting until N1 has stabilized at its highest value before introducing fuel. Pilot's discretion for us.

kevin_firth

Post by kevin_firth » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:19 am

meese91 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:14 am
kevin_firth wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:52 pm
his might be useful, but after a few flights I soon got into the hang of engine management and now I have no issues. A good tip is also to WAIT until the engine rpms stabilise at 70 before introducing fuel, and when you do, do it slowly only to the detent.
You'd be better off monitoring the N1, not RPM. Since it's a free-turbine (there's no physical link between compressor and power turbine), the prop RPM could spin faster or slower than expected at any given N1 value during the start, and too low an N1 value is what will give you a hot start. The minimum N1 for fuel introduction is 12%, but many operators of both King Airs and other PT6-powered aircraft recommend waiting until N1 has stabilized at its highest value before introducing fuel. Pilot's discretion for us.
Fair point, in reality I monitor both, I should have been more explicit...in my defence I've not encountered a situation yet where an engine stabilised at 70rpm isn't significantly over 12% N1, although that's not to say it can't arise!?

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:27 pm

Better is about 20% to cut in the fuel. I just let it stabilize a sec.

sharpless281

Post by sharpless281 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:32 pm

meese91 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:35 pm

Also, how live is the MVAMS? If I start a flight, and then open the software and check it, does it show the current state or the last stored before beginning a flight? And if the state changes during flight, will closing and reopening MVAMS reflect the change in state before the sim is closed? After posting this thread, I did try to start both engines at the location I ended up at, the turbines spooled up to a little above 20% but did not light, and no other parameters moved. After closing the sim (I did not recheck MVAMS after the test before closing the sim), AMS now shows both engines as Bad.
I am pretty sure that restoring the engines during flight will not work, a sim restart is needed. I wondered also if MVAMS or something is looking at the engine status as well during a flight and updates. I never see a change in MVAMS. When I am flying with ATC like PilotEdge, I do set the simulator.ini to read only, this seems to work. I remove the read only otherwise. The engine status is a neat feature overall so do like keeping it on.

I always restore the engines before the next flight. I created a Scenario file called trip and set it as a default. Every time I end a flight, I save that file again and shutdown P3D and restore engines. When P3D is started ready for next flight, I am good to go.

Return to “K.A.350 Support Forum”