ODBC Error - Microsoft Access database engine 2010

Raller
ODBC Error - Microsoft Access database engine 2010

Post by Raller » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:47 am

Hi,
the King Air 350i Build 0.0.37 installer installs, among other things, the "Microsoft Access database engine 2010 (English 64Bit)".
  • This causes in my existing MS Office 2010 (German 32Bit) installation an error when starting Word, Excel, etc.
    One of the object libraries is missing or damaged. Use setup for reinstallation.
The error in my MS Office can not be resolved, since the automatic run of the setup is aborted again and again. Only an uninstall of the "Microsoft Access database engine 2010 (English)" makes my MS Office work again.

My question: What is the "Microsoft Access database engine 2010 (English)" needed for and is there another way to handle this?

I don't think customers (and me neither) will appreciate or accept that their MS Office no longer works after installing the Milviz KA350.
In other words it means that every customer who has a different version of MS Office installed has massive problems after installing Milviz KA350.

Regards Raller

Raller
Re: ODBC Error - Microsoft Access database engine 2010

Post by Raller » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:33 pm

Sorry to bother in this support forum - to make it as easy as possible and not let the feeling come up that you're ignored here:

1. we already know that and we'll take care of it

2. it's not a bug, it's a feature

3. we have completely different problems than that

4. I'm afraid we can't fix it right now

5. we don't see any problem with that

6. we don't care

7. publishing before xmas is more important than anything else

8. we take care of it after release and after the customers have complained

Please just answer with a number...

(PS: 9. STFU is not an option ;) )

Turbofandude

Post by Turbofandude » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:26 pm

Raller wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:33 pm
Sorry to bother in this support forum - to make it as easy as possible and not let the feeling come up that you're ignored here:

1. we already know that and we'll take care of it

2. it's not a bug, it's a feature

3. we have completely different problems than that

4. I'm afraid we can't fix it right now

5. we don't see any problem with that

6. we don't care

7. publishing before xmas is more important than anything else

8. we take care of it after release and after the customers have complained

Please just answer with a number...

(PS: 9. STFU is not an option ;) )
I'm sorry you seem to feel this way, but the large number of items closed out on Mantis over the last several weeks disagrees. I'll happily respond to each of your "quick replies" just to set the record straight:

1.) I don't know what you're expecting us to say if it's in progress.
2.) If a feature is misunderstood as a bug, then the correct answer is quite literally as you put it.
3.) If a high priority issue arises, it will take precedence over more minor ones, of course.
4.) Certain items simply are not fixable in a reasonable time frame or in the right way right now. It doesn't mean we can't or won't, it means they will take some extra planning to be done in the right way at the right time.
5.) Again, there are some times that certain issues simply aren't "showstoppers" or are simply feedback and don't require a "fix".
6.) You'll never get this response. We always care if something is wrong, but there is more to it than that.
7.) If the publishing date was more important than quality, do you think we would have pushed it back as far as we have? What would be the point of pushing back months and months to continue to refine and improve, only to rush it at the end anyway? If the product truly isn't ready, then we will decide what course of action to take. Negativity doesn't move the piece any further down the board.
8.) Some items will be left for service packs or future fixes. Sometimes, issues are SO minor that only a few out of thousands of users will notice. When that happens, the time is best spent on more serious items that will negatively affect more users. If you believe that every commercial product on the market rolled out with absolutely 0 pending items, you are mistaken.

Normally, I wouldn't break it down to this level, but I want to clear any misconceptions. When developing a commercial product, there are a LOT of factors at play. Cost, time, other products and their release schedules, staffing, etc. all have to be factored in when we make these decisions. I know a consumer may not care how we run the business, but we certainly must. If we don't plan these items right, it can threaten stability and none of us (the customers or the team) benefit from that.

As well, it may seem like "we don't care" or "we'll get to it later", but it is more complex than that. Things that seem like quick fixes can sometimes be complete rewrites. Sometimes, we cannot reproduce the problem at all, which often makes fixing it nearly impossible. Sometimes, we get overwhelmed (we are human, too) and have to start one by one to stay on top of it.

There are a lot of moving parts here. What we need is your thorough reports on Mantis. That is the best way to help get us to where we want to be and you want us to be. We appreciate the input we've received and we have been, are, and will continue to do the best we can to create a fantastic product.

Turbofandude

Post by Turbofandude » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:27 pm

Raller wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:47 am
Hi,
the King Air 350i Build 0.0.37 installer installs, among other things, the "Microsoft Access database engine 2010 (English 64Bit)".
  • This causes in my existing MS Office 2010 (German 32Bit) installation an error when starting Word, Excel, etc.
    One of the object libraries is missing or damaged. Use setup for reinstallation.
The error in my MS Office can not be resolved, since the automatic run of the setup is aborted again and again. Only an uninstall of the "Microsoft Access database engine 2010 (English)" makes my MS Office work again.

My question: What is the "Microsoft Access database engine 2010 (English)" needed for and is there another way to handle this?

I don't think customers (and me neither) will appreciate or accept that their MS Office no longer works after installing the Milviz KA350.
In other words it means that every customer who has a different version of MS Office installed has massive problems after installing Milviz KA350.

Regards Raller
On occasion, it can interfere, but it is not as common as it seems. Users are able to use Office and products that use this technology side by side (and do). This article seems to help those affected: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... ffice.html

Raller

Post by Raller » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:48 am

Hello Collin ,
I don't think you quite understood what I meant by offering the answer number list.

For 3 weeks I didn't get any reaction from the support team, although in the meantime other support requests were answered. I just wanted to make it easy for the support team to answer me just by typing in one number.

Thanks for your answer, but it didn't have to be that detailed. I know you are all stressed and hard working on the product.

But I still think you should think about the problem because it affects everyone who has a "non-english 32bit office version" installed on their PC.

I will post a short description to that problem in Mantis...

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:14 pm

Actually I have an English language version & it is an issue for me also.

doodlebug

Post by doodlebug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:21 pm

For 3 weeks I didn't get any reaction from the support team,
This is not a released product - please adjust your expectations accordingly - the team are listening but their main priority is elsewhere and will not reply to every post during this phase of the development

Turbofandude

Post by Turbofandude » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Any Access issues, please private message me so we can discuss a resolution. The posts can be easy to miss.

Bushido

Post by Bushido » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:42 pm

Hello raller did you get an answer and a solution for this issue ?

It's more than annoying, not only I can't use the FMS at all but it also screw up my Office installation, which is totally unacceptable.

Appreciate any help other than delete MS office which is not an option.

Turbofandude

Post by Turbofandude » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:21 pm

Bushido

Post by Bushido » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:00 pm

Hello Collin,

Yes it work thank you.
May I suggest you list it in the known issue topic because it is a hell of a nasty bug.

Raller

Post by Raller » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Thanks for the tip. Hope it works out.

Return to “K.A.350 Support Forum”