Navigation, Systems Questions...

snpower
Navigation, Systems Questions...

Post by snpower » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:20 pm

I thought I'd group all my questions into one post.

First off: MVAMS or ACM? They both configure (mostly the same) settings?

Second: En-Route Navigation. I default to 'Ready To Fly' and have also selected Auto Position Update and Auto Waypoint Sequence options. I have watched a YouTube tutorial on the INS; not having much luck here. I can navigate to a VORTAC whose channel I manually input, and that is about it. I don't see a Target 2 position on the INS?? (S Model)

Approaches: With the ILS sytem powered on, and a correct frequency set via MVAMS, I get the correct morse identifier and also course deviation needle on the HSI. On my attitude indicator I get glideslope info but the localizer needle is off to the left.

Third: Autopilot. I know it is a basic system but I cannot get it to follow heading or to switch from couple to engage. I read about a test switch but have not been able to locate.

Fourth: Turn Radius with NWS. I have NWS mapped to a joystick button... I can see the noswheel turn, but even with diff. braking the radius seems limited (esp for carrier ops). What I see externally is that I can pivot the nosewheel to an almost 90 degree off center position but as soon as I start moving the angle decreases quite a bit. The rudder moves as well, which I don't think should happen - but perhaps that is just a programming issue.

Thanks in advance...

JonathanBleeker
Re: Navigation, Systems Questions...

Post by JonathanBleeker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:30 pm

1: MVAMS deals with radio, startup and some other avionics configs, controls, shared cockpit, and sounds. There are 2 other ACMs though that are in game. The one (Shift+1) brings up the loadout manager which also handles the chocks and GPU as well as a click spot for the flood lights.

2: If I recall correct, Target 2 becomes BASE on the nav computer in the S. The S doesn't have an INS, only the nav computer which is driven by air data. Only the E has an INS. Is your problem with both? For Target 2/Base, you need to go to the Addons menu->Milviz Phantom II and use the flight plan menu to get started and auto waypoint sequence should work from there.

3: You set the navigation mode to ILS? The knob is next to the HSI on the right if I recall.

4: Odd...Will investigate.

snpower

Post by snpower » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:31 am

1. Thanks for clarifying.
2. I mispoke r.e. INS; I'm making progress with the system per your comments.
3. Yes, I have ILS selected.
4. Thanks.

I had also asked about heading mode on the autopilot (see #3 in my original post).

Thanks Again.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:39 am

Oops. Missed the AP one. Neither the E, nor the S/J autopilots are capable of tracking a heading. They have only attitude and altitude hold. Control stick steering can be used to change the target bank angle though. The "Couple" switch on the S/J autopilot panel is for remote control of the aircraft via datalink (usually used on carrier automatic landings) but we haven't simulated that.

snpower

Post by snpower » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Still no joy with the ILS. I am at KCHO - very familiar with that approach. Frequency 11.70 and Channel 1 set in MVAMS. ARA 63 Powered ON. Channel 1 selected, corresponding to the ILS/Channel configuration in MVAMS. NAV/COMP in "TACAN" and DL/ILS. NO movement on the ADI needles, although the "miles" readout on the HSI seems to be working. The "ILS" annunciator on the HSI remains dark...

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 pm

The ILS doesn't include a DME component in this aircraft so your bearing/distance (controlled by a switch next to the navigation mode knob) is probably coming either from the nav computer or a TACAN.

You got a screenshot of the ARA 63 panel and your main panel?

snpower

Post by snpower » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Here you go:
Panel3.jpg
Panel3.jpg (13.92 KiB) Viewed 525 times
Panel2.jpg
Panel2.jpg (40.14 KiB) Viewed 525 times
Panel1.jpg
Panel1.jpg (245.56 KiB) Viewed 525 times
MVAMS.jpg
MVAMS.jpg (43.06 KiB) Viewed 525 times

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:10 pm

That looks like you are on channel 2 not channel 1. You made certain to move the knob as far to the minimum position as possible?

snpower

Post by snpower » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:43 pm

I also set Channel 2 to 111.70.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:44 pm

And it still doesn't respond?

snpower

Post by snpower » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 pm

This is correct. I've flown several approaches and also used slew to position the aircraft over the outer marker at glideslope intercept and the needles don't budge.

snpower

Post by snpower » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:13 pm

I’ve re-read I-2-133 to I-2-140 per RTFM requirements and don’t see an operational reason for my problem.

I’m out of town until Friday night; if you have further thoughts please do share them. I’m considering an uninstall/reinstall?

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:34 pm

I am going to verify this myself. Just haven't had the chance yet.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Just ran it here and it definitely is working here. I will run the installer on my side just to be sure I haven't missed something.

snpower

Post by snpower » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:20 pm

ILS.jpg
ILS.jpg (279.91 KiB) Viewed 488 times
So, I have the ILS working now. My screenshot depicts an approach with the glideslope and localizer (ahem) centered more or less. Still no real movement of the needles on the ADI, however.

I uninstalled, then reinstalled the package. Not a clue if this resulted in getting the system working; I walked through a very careful pre-flight front and rear cockpit setup based on the checklists but no light bulbs went off as far as "oh I missed that before". When using the ILS my distance counter is still referencing the VORTAC I have set - I'm assuming this is correct? At any rate thanks for the input, just one of those things that had to be worked through I guess...

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II Support Phorum”