Milviz DHC3 Turbo Otter engine failures

Come here to post any comments about any of our projects or to just to chat!
No support requests please.
rnurse.bc
Milviz DHC3 Turbo Otter engine failures

Post by rnurse.bc » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi,

I have been using the DHC3 Turbo Otter a few days now, and on a few of my flight the engine fails on me. Three times it happened on takeoff, and once on the approach to the arrival airport. How come the engine is failing so much?

There is no way to repair the engine in the MVAMS like the PC6 has, so how should I avoid this from happening? It it suppose to happen so much? I make sure and perform the engine start procedure just as the checklist describes: hold the starter until the engine stabilizes, then set the Condition Lever to RUN. The engine starts very nicely without over temperatures.

In the P3D realism setting, I turn of 'Engine stress causes damage', but an engine failure just occurred on me again after takeoff.

I don't want the engine to fail so much, how can I turn that off, or repair it so tat it is less frequent

rnurse.bc
Re: Milviz DHC3 Turbo Otter engine failures

Post by rnurse.bc » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:41 pm

I took a video of my departure and realized that the ITT was being exceed during takeoff, increasing to 900 degrees, when the maximum for takeoff is 750 degrees. I now understand that it is not only torque that must be watched for takeoff, but ITT and RPM as well. Whichever limit is reached first then that would be your takeoff power.

So I was exceeding the engine limits on takeoff.

esch.wolfgang
Re: Milviz DHC3 Turbo Otter engine failures

Post by esch.wolfgang » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:02 pm

I realized it a bit late too.

You can't go up to the red lines, if you do, the engine goes dead. It's Torque, ITT and Ng you have to watch out for. Also: Take the RPM down to 2000 even during climb. It's very realistic.
I printed out page 2-19 and 2-20 of the operating guide, so I have all limits handy while flying.

Wolfgang

Return to “General Product Forum (completed projects)”