Deleting or overwriting?

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other F-15E pilots!
(No support requests please)
JonathanBleeker
Deleting or overwriting?

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Ken or Colin or Steve please sticky this.

The importance of deleting and NOT overwriting when doing a reinstall. Why do i bring this up?

I just sent off the latest files to Colin and my work on this service pack is officially done. Now with that in mind, there are some things I would like to mention in order to make sure you have no issues when the final installer comes out.

A while back before release one of the testers was having the common problem of his bombs hitting the ground and not exploding. I sent him zip after rar after zip of the required files and he did countless unpack and overwrites to no avail. Even though he was manually copying and overwriting the files. Finally, i started to smell a rat and I told him to delete everything and THEN manually copy things over. BINGO! Everything fell into place and it was working perfectly. Shortly after release, 3 of my friends (2 at vUSAF) were having the same issue. So I put them through the same path as i did for the tester and sure enough, everything started to work. Now just a few hours ago Ken was having a similar issue except this time it was with the VC mdl file and the weapon dll. Now as we went through the testing we went through several VCs and thus dlls. The reason being is that in order to elliminate the manual load and interferance with other aircraft the ex-weapons coder locked the weapon dll in a special way to the VC and if a single byte of that VC gets changed the dll will not load. So each time we made a new VC (and that included code changes for switches) we had to have a new dll. And what Ken was seeing in his setup despite it being the same download that you guys had, didnt match up with reports that we were getting from you customers. And sure enough, he was installing to a temp directory and then manually copying and letting Vista (and it happens in XP as well as Win7) overwrite the files in the sim.

So in closing. Next time you want to re-install something or get new files or something like that, DELETE THE OLD ONES FIRST! WINDOWS DOES NOT NECESSARELY ACTUALLY OVERWRITE THE FILE! ONLY THEN CAN YOU BE CERTAIN THAT YOU ARE GETTING THE CORRECT FILES.

weasel
Re: Deleting or overwriting?

Post by weasel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:27 pm

ok thx very much for the advice looking forward to the sp release and the f15c :$

gibo

Post by gibo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:54 am

Jonathan,

I am having a problem with the VRS Hornet since SP1.1B and maybe it might be due to this topic ie delete not overwrite. From memory I overwrit.

I set up the VRS and no external stores show. I then changed my dll file to the Manual load as was the case pre SP1.1B and selected "No" to both modules during FS Startup. STill no VRS stores. I then loaded the F15 and selected Shift+3 and chose some stores then Shift+3 again and when going to external with the F15 not all stores showed, but don't forget that I selected "No" to modules on FS start up. I then chose the VRS as an aircraft again and bingo all the stores showed up.

I hope this makes sense.

Maybe I should delete the F15E and try reinstall again??

Cheers,

Norm

gregone

Post by gregone » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:46 am

Hi Norm, I just fired up the VRS Superbug and took it for a flight all stores showed up.I deleted instead of overwriting earlier in the week after seeing this post but didnt try the VRS so I dont know but worth a try. Cheers Greg 8-)

gibo

Post by gibo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:15 pm

gregone wrote:Hi Norm, I just fired up the VRS Superbug and took it for a flight all stores showed up.I deleted instead of overwriting earlier in the week after seeing this post but didnt try the VRS so I dont know but worth a try. Cheers Greg 8-)
Thankyou Greg, I tried that after reading your reply that and it is still the same. I have XP. I noticed someone has posted a reply to the same problem in SP1B commnets.
I might move the query over to there now.

Cheers,

Norm

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-15C & F-15E General Forum”