Talon T-38 My First Flight

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other T-38A pilots!
(No support requests please)
Thomas L
Talon T-38 My First Flight

Post by Thomas L » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:14 am

After installing the Talon flown a couple of traffic patterns in Edwards, record with recorder tool and replay it and flown as a wingman.

First is very easy to fly this bird smooth and good handling in the air.

Small video about my first test flight link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgi28jc5nXw

My total flight time 10 min on this nice bird.

a good pilot is always in training
Thomas

later when i have more time i start a new video in formation with the T-38

p.s. my wish list: would be nice to see this bird in USNTPS livery

Alpha
Re: Talon T-38 My First Flight

Post by Alpha » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:36 pm

Doesn´t look like like a Takeoff with Burners at around 100kts. Or is the clip slowmotion?

Could somebody please do an current ENJJPT-livery ? It´s grey jets in UPT and IFF since a couple of years ;)

Didn´t want to put it into the Support-Section: I would rather not have the Afterburner-sound. It´s unrealistic and you don´t need it.

Otherwise: Very nice plane, MilViz. Good job and absolutely worth the money :)

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Here is a link to a terrific story about the T-38A from walk-around to landing:

http://www.warbirdalley.com/articles/t38pr.htm
Of particular instance is this quote from the article:

The T-38 can be flown throughout its performance envelope, from aerobatics to patterns and landings, with barely any use of the rudder. With the landing gear retracted, only 6 degrees of rudder deflection is available, and in the landing configuration, 30 degrees is available.

Like an arrow, the Talon goes where it is pointed, not where it is banked. This means that turns are accomplished by banking in the desired direction (thus placing the lift vector where the plane needs to go) and pulling the nose to the desired point. To lower the nose to gain airspeed for an aerobatic maneuver, it is simpler and more comfortable to roll the plane upside down, pull the nose down to the desired pitch, then roll it upright again.
Here's an interesting story about a "batstrike" during a student's first night solo flight in the T-38A.
http://www.airspacemag.com/military-...tml?c=y&page=1

bstolle

Post by bstolle » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Alpha wrote:Didn´t want to put it into the Support-Section: I would rather not have the Afterburner-sound. It´s unrealistic and you don´t need it.
That's exactly the opposite from that what both real T-38 pilots in our team said.....

Thomas L

Post by Thomas L » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:40 pm

Alpha wrote:Doesn´t look like like a Takeoff with Burners at around 100kts. Or is the clip slowmotion?

Could somebody please do an current ENJJPT-livery ? It´s grey jets in UPT and IFF since a couple of years ;)

Didn´t want to put it into the Support-Section: I would rather not have the Afterburner-sound. It´s unrealistic and you don´t need it.

Otherwise: Very nice plane, MilViz. Good job and absolutely worth the money :)
Video on normal speed.

First run in the video speed around 100 KIAS then advance the throttle from 85% to 95% take off speed around 155 KIAS.

I did not hear the after burner sound on take off, but i check the recorder file about the N1 on take off run.

Only the AOA was a little to high for lift off.

Thomas

p.s. i try a better video with more effect in the future with 4 ore 5 ship.
Last edited by Thomas L on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Thomas L wrote:First run in the video speed around 100 KIAS then advance the throttle from 85% to 95% take off speed around 155 KIAS.

I did not hear the after burner sound on take off, but i check the recorder file about the N1 on take off run.
Power levers need to be firewalled (100%+ N1) before the nozzles will open and the afterburner will light off.

Thomas L

Post by Thomas L » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:04 pm

N4GIX wrote:
Thomas L wrote:First run in the video speed around 100 KIAS then advance the throttle from 85% to 95% take off speed around 155 KIAS.

Power levers need to be firewalled (100%+ N1) before the nozzles will open and the afterburner will light off.
Thanks for the INFO.

Thomas

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 pm

You will see the nozzle needles swing fully open (from ~20% closed) and will definitely hear the ABs and feel the kick in the pants!

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:40 pm

@bstolle: Well, I don´t remember hearing the Burners in the real T-38. But that´s a couple of years ago.

@ThomasL: In real life the burners should be selected right after getting off the brakes. Lead just uses a bit less burner to give the wingman something to play with.

Ken Stallings

Post by Ken Stallings » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:08 am

Thomas L wrote:After installing the Talon flown a couple of traffic patterns in Edwards, record with recorder tool and replay it and flown as a wingman.

Small video about my first test flight link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgi28jc5nXw

Thomas

You are not going to believe this, but it is the total truth! You already are flying a real world livery for a T-38 from the USNTPS! Except, it is painted in its original 1958 USAF paint scheme! The orange and white jet is a tail that was later transferred to the US Navy Test Pilot School! I kid you not!

Ken

Thomas L

Post by Thomas L » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:14 am

Ken Stallings wrote:
Thomas L wrote:After installing the Talon flown a couple of traffic patterns in Edwards, record with recorder tool and replay it and flown as a wingman.

Thomas

You are not going to believe this, but it is the total truth! You already are flying a real world livery for a T-38 from the USNTPS! Except, it is painted in its original 1958 USAF paint scheme! The orange and white jet is a tail that was later transferred to the US Navy Test Pilot School! I kid you not!

Ken
Nice never i saw an old USNTPS livery her in Austria we don't have a test pilot school bad for me, i like test pilot flying.

I would become a test pilot at my beginning of my PPL since 1987 as a 17 years young boy.

I know this livery from the USNTPS its the last paint schematic

Thomas

Roadburner440

Post by Roadburner440 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:16 am

Gunnar may chime in here at some point Thomas. He is our painter, and does an extremely good job. I think at the moment he is working on that black Holloman AFB scheme I found while doing research on airliners.net.. Knowing him though he will see this and do it too.

Ken Stallings

Post by Ken Stallings » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:13 am

Not to mention, but after looking at that photo, knowing that Gunnar being a master of using layers, he might be able to strip the markings off the 1958 livery USAF jet and plop on those for the Navy Test Pilot School!

Gunnar could probably work up a masterpiece before lunch!

Ken

Thomas L

Post by Thomas L » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:52 pm

Flown on IVAO last Day.

Both Rwy 22R and 22L

3 ILS Approach to RWY 22L

2 TACAN Approach RWY 22R

Bad is there is no ADF.

Some Approach i can not fly in European area.

Thomas

skyhawk18

Post by skyhawk18 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Gunnar may chime in here at some point Thomas. He is our painter, and does an extremely good job. I think at the moment he is working on that black Holloman AFB scheme I found while doing research on airliners.net.. Knowing him though he will see this and do it too.
Not to mention, but after looking at that photo, knowing that Gunnar being a master of using layers, he might be able to strip the markings off the 1958 livery USAF jet and plop on those for the Navy Test Pilot School!

Gunnar could probably work up a masterpiece before lunch!
Thanks a lot!
I am deep into the F-15 texture work right now. But I have promised more T-38 liveries after the release, so this USNTPS Talon will be one of them. :D
I will need additional photos that shows details on both sides and details on upper/lower sides of the wings.

BTW! The Holloman T-38 livery is finished.
Steve: I will send it over to you in short time 8-)

Return to “Northrop T-38A General Forum”