Big bang and engine quits....

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other Porter pilots!
(No support requests please)
francesco.doenz
Big bang and engine quits....

Post by francesco.doenz » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:23 pm

Strange, a few minutes after take off while climbing, all engine specs looking normal, also temperatures, and starting with an aircraft in a good and restored state, the engine quits with a big bang? What could me the most likely error from me....
Many thanks in advance for your help!!

ScruffyTheMongoose
Re: Big bang and engine quits....

Post by ScruffyTheMongoose » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 pm

You’re overtorquing the engine. Please read the manual.

francesco.doenz
Re: Big bang and engine quits....

Post by francesco.doenz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Thank you for stepping in as usual, it took me some time to study my errors and I found out that not only may be I overtorqued the engine while climbing, but also I was starting the engine with the idle control in LOW idle as recommended in the AAP 7211.001-1 page 2-7 of the AUSTRALIAN air force Pilatus PC-6/B1-H2 and I did NOT notice that the engine is the PTA-20 and not the MIlviz PTA-27 engine for which you recommend starting with the idle control in the off position...! When starting with the idle control in LOW idle the ITT temps overshoot for a few seconds damaging the engine as may be immediately seen in your MVAMS!! starting as recommended in the OFF position and then pusing to LOW idle the temps remain in the normal settings, pusing to HIGH idle it seems to me the ITT temps are even lower...!?
Hats down for your simulation and many thanks!!

Addendum....going over the forum I just realised I had the same question in june...sorry...must be a little bit too much of Lagavulin... :D

Return to “PC-6 General Forum”