milviz.com

MilViz.com's Forum is your only stop for topics relating to world-class digital models and animations.
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:38 pm 

I'm new to this forum so I may be restating something already covered, but I got my multi-engine rating in a 310Q and it had a prop-sync switch I can't find on the 310R........also, I've never seen a 310 with that door seal switch. Is that a weird option or something.

Really like the modeling on your airplane......thanks for all the hard work.

ron f.
portland, or.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:33 am 

This C310R is a faithful rendition of the real N577J C310R owned by Ken Stallings.

As his a/c doesn't have prop synch, neither does this model.

Likewise, his a/c has the door seal system installed, so too does this model.

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:24 am 

Welcome to the forums!

Here is the real skinny on the prop synch. It was always an optional component on the real 310R. It did come on my N5077J but long ago it was disconnected because the synchophasers are unreliable and it is vastly more effective to synch the props based upon harmonics. You listen for the props to go into sound synch and that's the best way to do it.

The door seal was modeled using the actual door seal motor that I had on my N5077J. However, ironically, about two weeks ago that motor burned up and I replaced it with the more widespread hand inflation pump, which is really the exact same hand pump that is used on blood pressure cuffs. The background story on these motors is that an airworthiness directive was issued on them many years before I purchased my 310R. However, unknown to my A&P-IA and myself is that the motor installed on my 310R met the date requirement of this AD and should have been removed and replaced with a newer motor or with the hand pump long before they sold the aircraft to me!

To say that I was pissed off mad when I learned this was an understatement! I certainly contacted the previous owner and expressed my concern! What really angered me was learning that this age motor was named in the AD because of this propensity to overheat and burn out when a pin hole in the air line to the door seal developed. The motor shuts off when it detects sufficient back pressure from the seal and when the seal leaks air and goes below that back pressure, the motor turns on just long enough to restore seal pressure. That is the recurrent sound you hear in the model. Bill's going to go nuts when he reads this, but with the motor gone and replaced by the hand pump, that sound is no longer on my 310R! But, at the time, it was there and MilViz replicated it perfectly!

So, while it is inaccurate to term the door seal switch and motor as a "weird option," it is true that they are being phased out with the hand pump which is now on my 310R!

When MiilViz modeled their 310R it was virtually a carbon copy of my actual 310R. However, since then I have made two signifcant avionics modifications. I installed a JPI EDM-780 Twin graphic engine monitor and I replaced that door seal motor with a hand pump. The door inflation switch is still in the cockpit but it is inert now since there is no longer a motor in the airplane.

MilViz staff member