Known Issues

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other 310 pilots!
(No support requests please)
Ken Stallings
Known Issues

Post by Ken Stallings » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:33 pm

We decided to create this topic to list some of the "known issues," most of which are either limitations in FSX software, or aspects of flight modeling that we decided to make as realistic as possible to the actual C-310R.

1. The landing and taxi lights are powerful on the actual aircraft. To make them range as for out on the runway as they really are, we had to alter the sightline of the lights. Therefore, due to limitations with FSX, we had to live with the fact that your lights will shine on the horizon as you climb out. It was a compromise we made because frankly we felt it was better to have the lights work right close to the ground on flare and on the runway/taxiway, than to make them weaker than real life to keep them from shining up the horizon.

2. The aircraft produces substantial torque and p-effect on takeoff roll, especially on initial roll with full power and little speed. This is realistic for the actual C-310R. With three bladed props, 285hp engines, and the tapered rear fuselage, the aircraft produces a lot of torque and p-effect. This is especially true for takeoffs at sea level airports. The aircraft as modeled is not turbocharged. So, you'll notice a difference in power output at higher elevation airports.

3. Single engine performance is realistic, which means you will "kill" yourself if you pull an engine in flight (especially on takeoff) and you are not familiar with the procedures listed in the POH. To summarize, the red radial line on the airspeed gauge is your Vmca (minimum single engine control speed). Below that speed, with the critical engine out, at full power, at sea level, the airplane will quickly and violently yaw in the direction of the dead engine and enter a flat spin. You'll need 3,000 feet of altitude to pull out and the first recovery step is to chop the power on the good engine to idle! This is realistic behavior and we sought again to make it realistic in this virtual version of the airplane. The blue radial line on the airspeed gauge (at 106 KIAS) is the Vy speed, which is also the best single engine climb rate speed. When you lose an engine, especially close to the ground, you want to push the nose down if below this speed, and climb if above it to maintain best climb away from obstacles in the general area. Remember the pilot's adage, "Blue line is your friend!"

4. There is a "Critical Readme" in the aircraft's folder when you install it. Please read this information and make this tweak to your master Cameras.cfg file. Unless you do this, the landing lights will "bleed over the top of the wings" and you will have the taxi light "bloom through the panel." This is another FSX bug and our tweak simply adds a few lines of code to the Cameras.cfg file that fixes the problem.

5. Finally, and frankly most important of all, please read the POH and the various avionics manuals! This is a complex airplane (real and virtual) and so there is a lot there. Proper operation will be key to your enjoyment, and so the POH was written to cover the operation of systems and avionics in detail. Even if you are not having any obvious problems, I can just about guarantee there are "things" on the panel and "sounds that sound strange" that are explained in the POH. If nothing else, knowing how this works can really increase the immersion factor and thus your overall enjoyment.

6. I've heard a few customers provide feedback along the lines of wondering what some of the "strange" sounds are in the cockpit either during engine start or before it. I sympathize. First time I got in the cockpit of my C-310R and flipped on the master battery switch I about thought I broke something the sound startled me so much! LOL!!! But, here is what I think you should know. All of the sounds you hear in the cockpit when you flip switches and turn stuff on are the actual digital recordings from the real aircraft -- specifically my own N5077J. To get the normal volume levels, you should have your sound levers in the game pegged on the 50% value, with the voices turned up to about the 75% level so you can hear them over the din! So, here is a breakdown of the "unique" sounds: 1. Master battery -- the louder than normal sound you continuously hear are the fuel transfer pumps that take unburned fuel from the engine and return it to the main fuel tank. Periodically, about every three minutes, you will hear a second-long "whirring" sound. That is the bypass valve on the door inflation seal releasing over pressure. 2. Avionics master -- that is the no kidding spool up sound and yep, it is just that loud! 3. Auxiliary fuel pumps (two switches) -- two sounds one for the high setting and one for the low, and again, you can hear them just as loudly as you can in the virtual cockpit! 4. Fuel primer -- rocker switch spring loaded to return to the center off position, same story, every bit that loud "humming" sound you hear. 5. Main door seal -- makes two sounds; a REALLY loud one that inflates the seal, and a "hiss" sound when you turn it off to deflate the seal. Again, just that loud!

Overall, the master battery sounds play continuously, because well, you can't fly the airplane without turning the battery on! Well, you can glide it or allow the alternators to feed the magnetos, but highly un-recommended! LOL!! Also, long as the avionics master is on, you hear that whining sound. I know what you are thinking, "My God is the real plane this loud!" And, my answer is, "Yep, it certainly is!" Why do you think I wear a $1,000 Bose ANR headset!!! Now, to be fair, on this virtual copy of the airplane, when everything is going, it sounds like it would if were were not wearing a high quality ANR headset with good passive hearing protection. So, if you want to turn it down some, I understand! But, if you want the full Monte effect as if you flew without any headset or earplugs at all, well, then, put those sliders all on around the 75% level, and experience the rock concert! :D

As we get more customer feedback, I may add to this area.

Cheers,

Ken Stallings
Last edited by Ken Stallings on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

N4GIX
Re: Known Issues

Post by N4GIX » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Just to be clear, the file to edit is the Cameras.CFG file, not the fsx.cfg file... :D

Ken Stallings

Post by Ken Stallings » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:48 am

N4GIX wrote:Just to be clear, the file to edit is the Cameras.CFG file, not the fsx.cfg file... :D
DOH!!!!

TAC45

Post by TAC45 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:20 am

Ken Stallings wrote:Why do you think I wear a $1,000 Bose ANR headset!!!
Cheers,

Ken Stallings
Do yourself a favor, and get the Lightspeed Zulu's. They are 100x better than the X. I've had both, and I'd never go to Bose!

PD400 (Kreg)

Ken Stallings

Post by Ken Stallings » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:48 pm

TAC45 wrote:
Cheers,

Ken Stallings
Do yourself a favor, and get the Lightspeed Zulu's. They are 100x better than the X. I've had both, and I'd never go to Bose!

PD400 (Kreg)
I've heard good stuff about them.

I'll definately keep them in mind when I need to purchase a new headset.

I actually use a panel-powered David Clark ANR on my Skyhawk and have liked it also.

The interesting thing about the Bose however is that by filtering out the constant noise, I can hear nuances and changes in the systems. Do the Lightspeeds allow that also?

Ken

TAC45

Post by TAC45 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Ken Stallings wrote:
TAC45 wrote:
Cheers,

Ken Stallings

PD400 (Kreg)
I've heard good stuff about them.

I'll definately keep them in mind when I need to purchase a new headset.

I actually use a panel-powered David Clark ANR on my Skyhawk and have liked it also.

The interesting thing about the Bose however is that by filtering out the constant noise, I can hear nuances and changes in the systems. Do the Lightspeeds allow that also?

Ken
Ken,

I'm a little confused as to what you are asking? I know the Zulu's have better ANR than the Bose X. You can hear other things, like AC etc. But it really filters out the droning engine noise! I love them, and wouldn't take money to use a Bose (well, okay...I'm a poor pilot...I'd take money as long as I could use my Zulu's most the time!) :p.

Not to mention, Bose CS sucks. They charge for everything. I called Lightspeed after having the headset for 3 years. I was like "I bought the Zulu's 3 years ago, and the ear pads are fraying a little bit, as is the headpad and the mic windscreen. Any chance of getting some new pieces?"

They emailed me the next day, offered ear pads and head pad, and 2 mic screens while asking for my shipping address. They sent 2Day Fed Ex to Hawaii, ALL FOR FREE! I'm a Lightspeed customer for life after this!

Plus, they are so much more comfortable that the Zulu's, they don't pinch your head, and completely cover the ears!

Ozark Dogfighter

Post by Ozark Dogfighter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:22 am

1. No highs? No lows? Must be BOSE!
2. B.uy
O.ther
S.tereo
E.quipment

Just sayin' :)

DN4581

Post by DN4581 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:37 am

"you can't fly the airplane without turning the battery on! Well, you can glide it or allow the alternators to feed the magnetos, but highly un-recommended!" - I was under the impression the reason most piston-engined aircraft still have magneto ignition is that magnetos are self-energising and require no other power source, other than the mechanical turning of the engine. Thus it is that, once you have the engine started, you can lose both the battery and the alternator (and all electrical items on the aircraft), but the mill keeps turning.

Return to “310R / 310R Redux General Forum”