doodlebug
Beaver Paintkit

Post by doodlebug » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:25 am

Beaver ext paintkit.zip
New PK supports asymmetrical paints

paradoxagi
Re: Beaver Paintkit

Post by paradoxagi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 pm

As I don't have PhotoShop and Gimp can't open the paintkit telling me there was an unknown compression used, is it somehow possible to get the paintkit saved without that compression? Usually Gimp can open PSD-Files.

If this is not possible, can I get a blank/white livery so I can use this as a base for painting? The white one I found in the texture folder does not have some files used in the other liveries, for example beaver_ext_2.dds is not present as a white texture.

Thank you,

Agi

doodlebug

Post by doodlebug » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Do you mean file compression?
Try this: 7-zip

paradoxagi

Post by paradoxagi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:14 pm

No... I mean the compression PhotoShop uses when saving PSD-Files. I can open and decompress the zip file and get some psd files, but those can't be opened in Gimp. Gimp tells me then it can't open the psd file because of an unkown compression and stops loading the file.

I don't know if there are options for saving psd files with PhotoShop, maybe Gimp is currently not compatible to more recent PhotoShop versions and their psd files. So, if this is just incompatible (I don't know if it is), a white livery would solve my problem also.

paradoxagi

Post by paradoxagi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:45 am

I messed around with the paint kit and tried to figure out if I could solve the problem myself but I still can't open the beaver_ext.psd file and the others I can open but they seem to be displayed wrong in gimp. So, that's my problem.

But, could you export a white livery for me? I just need the relevant exterior dds files used in the various models, that's all.

Aussie157

Post by Aussie157 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:58 am

As someone who's eyes are not the best because of age and diabetes I feel that it would that it would have been nice not to have the templates so crowded. Also a mesh would have been nice to be able to use as a guide.

I would also like to see the paintkits make more use of the KISS principle. The current Beaver kit has so many layers it is not funny. Maybe just the basic necessary layers and if a painter needs more then they make more. When I first opened the kit in PSP I spent nearly 2 hours truing to find out which layer effected what and it appeared some layers did absolutely nothing.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:05 pm

There is a mesh but it's light grey and barely visible.

binarkansas

Post by binarkansas » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:08 pm

I use photoshop elements 11 for a lot of my very novice repaints. I also use Photoshop CS2 when I must open groups. However, CS2 will not open the new paint kit. Elements 11 will open it, which really stumps me. If anyone finds the reason for this or a solution, please post it. I check this forum often, primarily to see who has added finished repaints.

paradoxagi

Post by paradoxagi » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:07 pm

I just wanted to notice that I was finally able to collect all the white parts needed for a blank/white livery from the various models' texture folders - all files needed are there but you have to collect them from the different models.

:-)

Return to “DHC-2 Beaver Repaints”