Pedals and rudder dont move

ahunterg95
Pedals and rudder dont move

Post by ahunterg95 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:36 am

Hi,

I thought this may be related to nose wheel steering but that works fine.

My problem is that the pedals (in cockpit) don't move at all and nor does the ruder. The keys I have assigned to this are R and T (R:Left and T:Right, weird but they are two free keys next to each other on the left side of the keyboard). This key assignment works on all my aircraft except for the UH-1 Huey Redux which I have also just applied for support on after purchasing for a similar issue (pedals stick/move but recenter).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, redownloading the application/installer with my anti virus 100% off, but no luck. Everything else in the aircraft works fine, lights, engine, flaps, air break, canopy, joystick/aileron movement... etc..

Looking forward to solving this!

Best regards,

Andrew

JonathanBleeker
Re: Pedals and rudder dont move

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:59 am

Only rudder axis is supported. Not keyboard.

ahunterg95

Post by ahunterg95 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:05 am

Hi,

Thankyou for getting back so quickly.

How can I fix this? I guess I have always controlled the ruder with keyboard commands for every FSX aircraft and all but two Milviz products (T-38 Advanced and UH-1 Huey). My original T-38A (non advanced) works fine.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:16 pm

The ADV goes completely outside of FSX. It is designed to use the axis commands only.

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Translation: at this point in time, there is no way to use a keyboard for this product and we have, at this time, no intention(s) of modifying it so that it will.

Sorry.

ahunterg95

Post by ahunterg95 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Thankyou both Jonathan and Colin,

I guess I was hoping that this would be a straight forward and fairly quick fix...

I did purchase this upgrade when it first came out, after being a customer of the original T-38A I didn't think for one moment that the product would become unusable.. I have forgotten why I had to uninstall it, but my guess was that it was due to this problem.

I completely respect and love the work that you guys do and understand that you are really busy on big and amazing projects.

But I would really appreciate if this could be fixed up for me and supported in future products. Maybe I'm the only one, but in the end if basic control surfaces like the rudder or unimaginably the ailerons become unprogrammable through the FSX (SE) settings, controls, I will always be coming back asking for support on any future products that have this similar issue, as I am on a basic setup of keyboard and mouse commands/movement.

This issue hasn't arisen with my B-407, T-38A (original) or P-38 Redux... So why change it from product to product?!

I fear that that this may be the same problem with my UH-1 Huey that I just purchased, but I will take that support request to that forum..

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:09 am

We have different technologies involved in various of our products, and the flight control systems vary from aircraft to aircraft in real life as well. The B407 and P-38 don't have anything special in the flight control system. The original T-38A didn't have the tech that we now have although the real aircraft does have some extra control layers overlaid on the rudder inputs. The F-4 Phantom is another one where you would encounter this problem because of the SAS system. Most modern fighters that we do will have this problem because there are other inputs to the controls along with the stick and pedals. It becomes impractical to simulate them via the keyboard, and so rudder pedals, or at least a twist joystick become an absolute necessity.

ahunterg95

Post by ahunterg95 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks Jonathan, I understand where you are coming from with regards to different aircraft systems.

Milviz is a step above a lot of other developers in many respects, this is why I am a customer and although there is now some trepidation I do look forward future products (especially the C-130!! :o ).

If I am at a dead end of getting a patch/fix or any kind of reimbursement, all I can do is make one final statement and suggestion.

Every FSX aircraft, that I have purchased, installed and flown, right from the very top level of developer all the way down through the ranks have 100% supported and respected the default/in-game keyboard commands, especially for control surfaces that are vital to the flight of the aircraft. Whether it is straight forward (in game) or through an external Aircraft Configuration Manager, it is supported in every case.

As a paying customer I think it is important (especially in the digital environment where refunds tend not be made) that the platforms (FSX/SE,P3D) default commands are supported especially in products that are marketed for use on them. Whether the key commands are supported by default or through configuring them in an external aircraft manager, this is a step in the right direction. If it is 100% impossible to honor the use or configuration of default commands, I believe that it should be stated clearly on the products page prior to any purchase being made.

If the problem simply can not be over come, I will just have to put the T-38ADV in the unusable basket until such time as I can justify pedals or a joystick.

Also, could someone have a quick look at my post in the UH-1 Huey support forum? I really, REALLY hope it is not the same problem!

Best regards,

Andrew

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:57 pm

You'll get a refund no problem. Osh?

ahunterg95

Post by ahunterg95 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:09 pm

Thanks for the offer Colin,

That is comforting to know it isn't off the cards!

I did go backwards in my last few sentences and said I will put the ADV in the unusable basket for now. I think it was only a small amount for the upgrade from the original T-38 to the ADV, so I am happy to leave it sit until the day I get a second control of some sort.

What I would love, is to know whether this is the same issue with my UH-1 Huey. I have posted in that forum if someone could look into it.

If my previous feedback could be taken on board, that would also be appreciated. I am obviously a small minority not using fancy controllers, I just don't see the need when a keyboard and mouse do the job... most of the time :)

Alvaro

Post by Alvaro » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:43 am

ahunterg95 wrote:I think it was only a small amount for the upgrade from the original T-38 to the ADV,
Fortunately, it is not ;)
ahunterg95 wrote: so I am happy to leave it sit until the day I get a second control of some sort.
The ADV series are intended as 'study' sim aircraft. While sims, in general, can be "played" even using keyboard cursors (or a mouse) the aim is the inmersion. The better the hardware, the better the sim experience. And a minimum is required..

In this case, a cheap and simple twist grip joystick (like my afterburner tm) is enough to "fly" her as deserves.

ahunterg95

Post by ahunterg95 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 am

Yeah, I get where you are coming from Alvaro.

In the end, the way I see it, nothing comes close to the feel or experience of flying the real deal in real life (generally speaking of aircraft). For me, flight sim on a PC is about learning the ins and outs of the aircraft, start up, shut down, different procedures and so on. My money is predominantly spent on the developers hard work that comes in the form of the aircraft. Personally I can't justify expanding my set up, especially when 98% of aircraft developed for FSX can be controlled by mouse and keyboard.

Andrew

Return to “Northrop T-38A Advanced Support Forum”