A-A Radar half lock full lock and Aim ARM

artopsy
A-A Radar half lock full lock and Aim ARM

Post by artopsy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:01 pm

what am i not understanding
in the rio seat radar is opr, and tried bst or rdr, 2 bar,pulse short auto and long. display V? B nar and B wide manual vc at 0. track on and off aspect tail aft fwd and nose. range 20 usually. and radr on
in the pilot seat open and set to A/A for reticle. Master arm ON arm nose (even though no bombs) every combination of stations lit
gun is the only thing to ever show arm

I can get a half lock with any A to A weapon.
I can get a full lock vc circles when I am in gun mode or Aim 9 sometimes but the gun doesn't track the target and the heat missile won't fire. when i switch to radar missile the radar gets a big yellow X.
I can only get arm on the gun.
I have gotten aim 7s to launch with out radar lock
i have launched and hit a target with the aim 9 without radar
for the aim 7 i have the blue RDR lights and the blue heat light. (RDR MSL CW/ON)(INTLK on or off) The red arm light below the blue RADAR light. no arm light under the ctr, LO LI RI RO
tried bombs , rkts & disp on the wpn sel knob and direct, DT & DL on the wpn rel dial
i have watched a youtube vid, read the tp pdf F4 manual, MVAMs manual etc but not getting it. and it is driving me crazy

JonathanBleeker
Re: A-A Radar half lock full lock and Aim ARM

Post by JonathanBleeker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:25 am

The yellow X means you are too close. For sidewinders, keep in mind there is a 1.2 sec delay before it fires during which you must keep the trigger pressed (remember also, pickle is for bombs only. Guns and AIMs are trigger).

Not sure what you mean by gunsight doesn’t track the target?

artopsy

Post by artopsy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:02 pm

JonathanBleeker wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:25 am
The yellow X means you are too close. For sidewinders, keep in mind there is a 1.2 sec delay before it fires during which you must keep the trigger pressed (remember also, pickle is for bombs only. Guns and AIMs are trigger).

Not sure what you mean by gunsight doesn’t track the target?
ok to close makes sense.
knew about the 1.2 second delay and pickle

i thought one of the tutorial videos said if there is a radar lock the gun sight or gun will track track the target on minor deviations. I might be hallucinating.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:01 pm

It won't track like the square target box in a 4th gen HUD. It is just a gyro gunsight meaning it gets fed range data from the radar and reacts to your own aircraft movements to aid in aiming from a rear aspect position.

artopsy

Post by artopsy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:30 am

I can get the gun ARMed and it will fire
gun-Armed.jpg
gun-Armed.jpg (49.63 KiB) Viewed 452 times
I can get a half lock and the sparrow selected but no arm light
half-lock-no-ARM2.jpg
half-lock-no-ARM2.jpg (264.1 KiB) Viewed 452 times
when attempting full lock I get this (and still no ARM light). I was able to get a lock yesterday at about 1 mile with sidewinders selected but the last one would not fire. switched to gun and lock stayed and for sparrow the X (to close)
full-lock5.jpg
full-lock5.jpg (294.67 KiB) Viewed 452 times
turned off intlk fired sparrows but they did as expected.. went wild
2-wild-sparrows-3.jpg
2-wild-sparrows-3.jpg (190.4 KiB) Viewed 452 times
so the question remains
1 why will only the gun fully arm
2 why can I not get a full lock? and the VC rings is it because the sparrows won't arm? neither will the sidewinders but at least they are heat seekers when autonomous

artopsy

Post by artopsy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:00 am

ok I think I got it
there is the two post vertical cursor for half lock when that is accomplished you scroll up from the bottom a horizontal cursor (that I accidentally found) from out side the radar screen up to get full lock.
cursors8.jpg
cursors8.jpg (240.09 KiB) Viewed 449 times
the armament station doesn't show ARMed for missiles only the guns in A-A

when in range you can fire

with only sparrows loaded before I found the drone I got this shoot light with nothing on the radar and no idea where the drone was yet? missile wouldn't shoot but it kept telling me shoot.
shoot-at-nothing6.jpg
shoot-at-nothing6.jpg (197.22 KiB) Viewed 449 times
I never saw the shoot light again

also got the gun to track or assist.

next sidewinders

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:04 am

Yes you need to move the range strobe onto the target in half lock mode before attempting full lock. The missiles don’t have ARM lights. Only A-G weapons and the nose gun. The red ARM light on the missile selection light panel indicates armed or not. And for AIM-7s if you turn off the interlock switch, you can fire without lock or being in range params. The last pic is likely a bug, which could be cleared by breaking lock and relocking.

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II Support Phorum”